happen-to-be-vegan Valentine’s Day cookies

February 11, 2017
happen-to-be-vegan Valentine's day cookies

It’s Valentine’s Day this week and in my kitchen I’m making these four-ingredient, (happen-to-be-vegan) Valentine’s Day cookies. These are a breeze to whip up and are beautifully soft and delicious, almost disproportionately so when you consider how simple the ingredients are. Plus they’re good for the planet.

Did you know that according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the single greatest thing you can do to save the planet is to give up eating meat? Even if we all simply ate meat within the FAO recommended daily guidelines, by 2050 we would cut global greenhouse gas emissions by nearly a third. Want more info? See “Eating to save the planet” in the Kingston Whig Standard.

In my tiny kitchen, I’ve been cooking more vegan dishes and converting old recipes to vegan-ize them. This Valentine’s Day sugar cookie recipe is a cross between my old sugar cookie and my old shortbread recipes. The dough is so gorgeously soft. And it makes some of the lightest, tastiest cookies ever. I think I could open a bakery on the strength of these cookies.

I made them with Becel Vegan margarine but you could easily use butter. I’m about to head to my kitchen a whip up another batch. Just leave yourself time to chill the dough. And if you want to see the full description, you can find my Valentine’s Day story in the Kingston Whig-Standard here.

happen-to-be-vegan Valentine’s Day cookies

For the cookies:

• 1 cup vegan margarine (I used Becel Vegan) or softened butter
  • 2/3 cup icing sugar
  • 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Beat the butter OR margarine and icing sugar together. Stir in the flour and salt. Allow the dough to chill for a couple of hours in a covered bowl.

Set oven to 325 F. Butter, grease, or spray two large cookie sheets or line with parchment paper

Roll the dough on a lightly floured board to about ¼ inch or 6mm thick. I used a 2-inch cookie cutter. Place the cookies on the prepared trays and bake for about 10-12 minutes. The cookies should not be brown – just faintly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and set to cool.

For the pink butter frosting:

• 1/2 cup vegan margarine or softened butter
  • 1 1/2 – 2 cups icing sugar
  • tiny pinch of salt
  • 1 -2 tbsp milk substitute such as almond or coconut milk / or cream or milk
  • a few drops of red food colouring

Place the butter or margarine, 1 ½ cups of icing sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl and beat on low-speed to combine. Add 1 tbsp of milk or substitute. Continue beating. Add more icing sugar or more milk as required until correct consistency is achieved. Add a couple of drops of food colouring and beat well, and add more food colouring, one drop at a time, as required to achieve desired shade of pink. Frost the iced cookies and allow frosting and hour or two to set before packing cookies in tins or airtight containers.

• Reply Darya February 11, 2017 at 11:09 am

Oh my, the question of what and how to eat is so important these days! This will be a long reaction to your lovely, simple recipe, and I hope I won’t upset you or your readers by expressing how I feel about these issues, but here goes… I hope you won’t mind!
    I do not believe in the advent of veganism, and I get really annoyed and upset when people claim is it “healthier” or “better” than any other way of eating. I believe in using common sense, tradition, and your brains when eating, and prefer opting for local, seasonal produce made by people I can actually talk to (as much as possible, and without making it a “religion”), over so-called “super-foods” (super as opposed to what? Most foods can be super). Many ingredients which are in high demand in vegan circles are creating local ecological disasters. High demand for almonds (for factory-made almond milk), avocados, quinoa, chia seeds, palm oil (for all sorts of industrial vegan substitutes), etc. are responsible for local poverty (people can no longer afford foods that used to be basic in their cultures), droughts, impoverishment of soils, monocultures, endangerment of species of animals and birds, etc.
    I certainly do agree with you about REDUCING our consumption of meat and dairy, and giving priority to quality produce. I think we should think about balance, know where our food comes from, how it is grown-bred-made, and use common sense. Our ancestors – even the poorer classes – all knew instinctively how to make the most of what they had and created balanced diets without ruining the ecosystem, and I believe that going to back to traditional ways of eating, rather than creating new ones, is the way to go.
    That being said, you will understand why I would opt for real full fat butter from a local farm over vegan margarine, were I to make your Valentine’s cookies.

• Reply Lindy February 11, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I absolutely agree Darya! And I would always choose butter over margarine but I have a daughter who is allergic to dairy. So it is not always so straightforward. However yes, we are going about things backwards. And it so important to think about what we are doing to our food supply and the planet. Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours. ❤

• Reply Amanda | What's Cooking February 11, 2017 at 11:19 am

Yes! I agree with all of this and have really started eating mostly plant based. These coookies are beautiful and I’m trying to make a version here as well! So nice to see you and glad that you’re trying new things! be well! Xo

• Reply Lindy February 11, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Amanda – happiest of Valentine’s Days to you and will be over to see what you’re up to in your kitchen asap. ❤

• Reply Johanne Lamarche February 11, 2017 at 1:36 pm

So pretty, easy and healthy-ish. LOVE them! Joyeuse St-Valentin, Lindy!

• Reply Lindy February 11, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Merci et Joyeuse St-Valentin aussi, Johanne ❤

• Reply chef mimi February 12, 2017 at 9:01 am

A great post and really pretty cookies! I don’T crave meat. But some people do. Oddly enough, every single person I’ve met or know who craves meat is an O blood type. I always ask cause I find it so fascinating, ever since I read “Eat for your Blood Type.” Hopefully they’re all responsible consumers.

• Reply Lindy February 17, 2017 at 8:40 am

Hi Mimi – I haven’t read that book and I’m an A blood type and rarely crave meat. Loved going through your blog yesterday and getting caught up with you and your kitchen!

• Reply Mimi February 17, 2017 at 11:28 am

The blood type thing is very interesting. I don’t prescribe to any way of eating, but it’s a fascinating read. And i swear every single person I come across or know who loves/craves/needs meat is a type O. Thanks for your support, too!

• Reply Laura February 13, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Damn! I am eating your cookies right now and feeling very good about my late night choices. I love that you spread awareness and raise interesting issues in such a delicious way!

Your blog is a treat to read and I always learn something new. Eating and caring for our planet are two very important issues and it sure is nice to combine both.

Love you Mum – you’re a rock star!

• Reply Lindy February 17, 2017 at 8:41 am

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

• Reply Anita Kushwaha February 17, 2017 at 8:25 am

These are beautiful! And I love that they are vegan. I’m a vegetarian but I’ve been eating vegan more often, thanks to the Oh She Glows cookbooks. Have you tried them? The blog is great too. Every Sunday I pick a new dish to prepare for Sunday dinner. So far, all home runs!

• Reply Lindy February 17, 2017 at 8:38 am

So interesting Anita – I bought the first Oh She Glows book but I’ve never made a thing from it. Even though I eat vegetarian routinely and vegan often – I never seem to have the required ingredients for anything in the cookbook. And the ingredients lists are daunting. I’ll have to check out the blog. I noticed you’re using the new book – I should take it out of the library and give it a peruse.
      Great to hear from you! 😉

• Reply Karen March 3, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Your cookies would be nice to serve at a baby shower and bridal shower for those vegans that would be attending. I’m sure lots of times they must skip most foods. While I’m not vegan or vegetarian, I do understand that it is nice to have choices for everyone and I’m sure the post will be popular. 🙂

• Reply Lindy March 12, 2017 at 5:01 pm

What a great idea Karen. I have a daughter getting married this year. The cookies WOULD be perfect for a shower. Thanks for suggesting it!! xox

I'd love to hear from you...