chocolate tahini cake

October 7, 2016

this will have to be the fastest post ever. I’m about to board an airplane – heading to Paris – and then by train to St. Jean Pied de Port. And from there, 800km by foot across Spain on the Camino de Santiago. I’m about to walk my dream….

For years I’ve been reading about this, thinking about this, dreaming of this. For the past few months, I’ve been frantically busy – training, breaking in my boots, preparing my gear and all the while working on a both a new writing project and a new food column in the Kingston Whig Standard, Canada’s oldest newspaper! Some days it’s hard to imagine that my life could be this wonderful.

Before I start the twenty-four-hour journey by car, plane, and train into the little village in the French Pyrenees, I wanted to get something new up on my blog. Last weekend I celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving a week ahead of time with my family. I did this trio of desserts…

A trio of autumn desserts

A chocolate tahini cake, a coconut milk pumpkin pie, and an autumn harvest fruit tart.

I’ve done the pressed crust fruit tart on this blog so many times. It’s such a favourite and so infinitely adaptable. But the tahini cake is new. I had a jar of tahini in my fridge approaching its use-by date. And I didn’t want to waste it. I threw this cake together sans recipe. and I have to say, I really like it. It’s not very sweet so you could easily add a bit more sugar. It’s the kind of cake you’d expect to be served in an elegant little cafe with some good, dark roasted, full-bodied coffee. I’m thinking of a place I once knew and loved … The Gypsy Cafe.

No more preamble. I wish you all the happiest and most grateful of Thanksgivings. Count all your blessings. And then count them again.

Chocolate Tahini Cake

• 1 cup tahini  at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2-3 tbsp brandy or Grand Marnier
  • 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 & 3/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup broken chunks of semi-sweet chocolate (or use chocolate chips)
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 20cm or 9″ cake pan.
  2. Mix the tahini and sugar until fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add the eggs, one a time, beating well. Mixture will stiffen.
  4. Add the brandy or Grand Marnier and vanilla.
  5. Stir in the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
  6. Spoon half the batter into the cake pan. Spread with a spatula to even. Add 2/3 of the chocolate (I chopped mine in the food processor and had to add some chocolate chips as well)
  7. Spoon the remaining batter onto the chocolate and again – use the spatula to spread the batter. The cake dough is quite stiff and sticky.
  8. Scatter the remaining chocolate on top
  9. Bake for about 25 minutes and then test for doneness by inserting a skewer. Skewer should come out relatively clean. Continue to cook a few minutes longer as needed.
  10. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar and served with whipped cream.
    chocolate-tahini-cake

• Reply Amanda | What's Cooking October 7, 2016 at 11:29 am

What a wonderful recipe. Chocolate and tahini are the ultimate combo. You’re walking el Camino?!!!!! That’s amazing. What a beautiful and meaningful experience that will be. So ancient and connected to life. Congrats on the column too. Im so happy you’re living your dream right now. Unbelievable. Be save and open to being moved! Xoxo

• Reply Lindy Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 11:44 am

Yes Amanda… I’m en route now and you’re right, the El Camino! I don’t know which I feel more, excitement or fear! So great to hear from you. xox

• Reply Tasty Eats Ronit Penso October 7, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I make tahini cookies but never used it in a cake. It looks very tasty, a are the other beautiful cakes in the photo.
    Good luck with your adventure! 🙂

• Reply Lindy Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Ronit, I’m a tad nervous but one foot after the other and keep going….🙂

• Reply nedmiller October 7, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Have a wonderful trip! It sounds so fantastic! Just think of all the wonderful food you will be able to eat…and then walk right off! Sounds delicious!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Ned
      So great to hear from you! I bet you’d love the Camino. Will report back soon! xo

• Reply Stacey Bender October 7, 2016 at 12:53 pm

How wonderfully exciting! Be safe, eat well and bring us back your memories.

Tahini cake huh? I am very intrigued!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Stacey! Will definitely bring back food photographs and memories. Hopefully good ones! xo

• Reply Elly October 7, 2016 at 1:51 pm

LOVE YOU Mumma!!! Safe travels – I’m thinking of you! <3 <3 <3

• Reply William Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 1:59 pm

A Walk to Remember……Ever so cool Lindy!! I have no doubt you will be awed amazed and tired….Blessings to you all along the way.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Bill, a very happy Thanksgiving to you. And so appreciate the blessings!

• Reply David More October 7, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Here’s a Thanksgiving toast to you and free spirits everywhere.

cheers, Dave

• Reply Lindy Mechefske October 7, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Dave…may your turkey be perky! 😄😏😏🍗🌽🍾

• Reply Anonymous October 7, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Looks wonderful Lindy! I’ll hopefully experiment with recipes while you’re off on your dream journey! Wishing you a fabulous time on your adventures❣Estelle Whittaker

• Reply Julie Fraser October 8, 2016 at 2:00 am

Walk well Lindy. XX Julie

• Reply chef mimi October 8, 2016 at 7:50 am

How exciting!!! I can’t wait to see posts and photos about the walk. Wishing you great weather and no blisters! Beautiful cake.

• Reply Johnny Hepburn October 21, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Buen viaje! Even though I know Spain quite well I don’t know the Camino de Santiago. Looking forward to future posts.Seriously? 800k?

• Reply tableofcolors October 31, 2016 at 8:25 am

Safe travels! I have a friend who just returned from her trek…and your tahini cake looks perfect!

• Reply Karen November 3, 2016 at 12:13 pm

It sounds like you are having the adventure of a lifetime, enjoy!