happen-to-be-vegan chocolate chip cookies

June 2, 2016
happen to be vegan chocolate chip cookies

Chuck out all your old chocolate chip cookie recipes. Throw them out now because some genius just re-invented the wheel. Actually – genii. Two women, Erin Patinkin and Agatha Kulaga, founders of New York’s Ovenly are responsible for this just-happens-to-be-vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe. If you don’t know about Ovenly, you can read more here.

The thing about this recipe is that it’s  accidentally vegan and therefore dairy-free and you’ll likely have all the ingredients on hand. Add to this that the cookies are super simple to make, and use a small quantity of any healthy cooking oil in place of margarine or butter, and finally and most importantly of all – they are probably the best damn chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever eat.

I found the recipe via Food52.

I’ve never really perfected chocolate chip cookies and probably because of this – I’m not the biggest fan of them. I really love shortbread and gingerbread biscuits.  But now that I have this recipe, I might just like chocolate chip cookies a whole lot more. The use of oil makes the dough soft but still hold together well. The texture is neither floury nor oily but silky smooth.The addition of flaked sea salt binds the flavours, tempers the sweetness, and draws out the taste of the dark chocolate. You can cook them a minute or two longer if you prefer a crispier cookie but I like mine on the soft, ever so slightly doughy side.

Ovenly’s version calls for the dough to be chilled for a minimum of 12 hours and a maximum of 24 hours. According to Food52, that’s not exactly necessary. I erred on the side of caution and refrigerated the dough for most of the day. And I halved the original recipe because I was almost out of flour. I like the fact that you can prepare the dough early and then bake the cookies later when you end up putting the oven on to cook something else. That’s virtuous. And I always like a little bit of virtuousness. MFK Fisher, the beloved food writer, liked it too – she said of her famous tomato soup cake, “It can be made in a moderate oven while you are cooking other things, which is always sensible and makes you feel rather noble, in itself a small but valuable pleasure.”

Here’s Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe much as it appeared on Food52.

vegan chocolate chip cookies

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:1]

• Reply apuginthekitchen June 2, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Lindy I saw this recipe on Food52 and thought it sounded great. Now I know it is wonderful your cookies look fantastic, so nice that they are vegan as well. Thanks for posting this.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 2, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Suzanne! SO good to see you. Yes, a great recipe. Who would have guessed that vegetable oil and sea salt could make such a difference? I’m way out of touch. Will spend time tomorrow catching up and can’t wait to see what you’re up to. ♡

• Reply Darya June 3, 2016 at 3:26 am

I have a great recipe for chocolate chip cookies which calls for 1/2 a pound of butter! They are the best I’ve ever had, but then, like you, I’ve never obsessed over finding the perfect recipe, I just make these when I need something sweet and simple for a crowd to nibble on.
    Your cookies sound like a great alternative, and I like the idea of always having all those ingredients on hand, and being able to make them in two stages as well.
    I hope you’re well, it is always nice to read your new posts!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 18, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Darya – I’m having all kinds of problems commenting. All my outbound comments don’t go anywhere and even my comments here have been disappearing. I must say – I’m so sorry I switched from WordPress.com to WordPress.org – I’ve had nothing but problems since. 🙁
      Which are you using? Your blog always looks fantastic.

• Reply Darya June 19, 2016 at 2:09 am

Lindy, I am sorry to hear you are facing these technical issues. I am on wordpress.com and have no problems with it. I hope you’ll manage to figure things out, I always enjoy your posts very much !

• Reply Elly June 3, 2016 at 9:02 am

Looks so yummy!! <3

• Reply Sabine June 4, 2016 at 2:09 am

That sounds like a great and easy recipe, LIndy. I´ll try that soon, I´m sure my kids will love them. Have un bon week-end (had to add little bit of franglais here ;-)) , Sabine

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 18, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Merci Sabine. Hope you have un bon week-end aussi! ❤

• Reply Amanda | What's Cooking June 5, 2016 at 3:44 pm

These look so good. I love chocolate chip cookies with or without eggs, raw or cooked any time of day. Yours look genius! Great mfk Fischer quote. It perfectly encapsulates what I love so much about her writing. I like oil instead of butter in a lot of things. I think it adds a sophisticated flavor. I’ll have to try these! Glad to see you. I hope you’re well!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 18, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Dear Amanda – are you on WordPress.org? I’ve been having such issues since I switched. Latest is that all my comments everywhere don’t show up. I’ve only just learned this. May be an Askimet problem apparently – I’m trying to sort it out but part of me just wants to go back to my old wordpress.com blog. Very frustrated….
      ❤❤

• Reply Life Diet Health June 17, 2016 at 10:23 am

These look yummy and a big plus for being vegan 😀 Great for sharing at Fiesta Friday – thanks for co-hosting this week.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 18, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Aw – thanks. And if I haven’t managed to comment on your blog it’s because my outbound comments are all suddenly going to SPAM. 🙁 So sorry…

• Reply Michelle June 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

Lindy- I found this on Fiesta Fridays. Really excited to try a new cookie recipe! I love the sprinkle of salt on top! Yum!
    Thanks!
    Michelle

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 18, 2016 at 1:33 pm

thanks Michelle – and I tried several times to comment on your blog but apparently all my comments are going to Spam. This is a brand new issue. No idea why and I’m waiting for Askimet to resolve for me. So sorry! Nice to meet you though!!

• Reply Gerard Pozzi June 22, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Lindy, these look delicious… I can’t wait to make them! I hope all is well!