red wine jelly

February 9, 2016
red wine jelly

Goodness. It’s almost Valentine’s Day. That unbelievably commercial day celebrating that least commercial of things – looove

It’s not that I don’t believe in love. Because I do, I do, I do. I believe in it big time. Make it big love. Put your whole being into it. Write poetry, make something fantastic in the kitchen, drink some really great wine. Buy books. Send love to everyone you know and care about. Make art. Make cakes. Make love.

Just please, don’t buy the roses. They’re not in season in most of North America. The vast majority are grown on horrendous sweat shop farms in Central and South America, using child labour and an array of nasty chemicals. Then they’re flown and trucked for thousands of miles. And (I’m not done yet) they’re grown on arable land that should be used for the safe production of food. In short, they are, at the very least, a minor ecological disaster. Don’t get me started on greeting cards…. I won’t go on. Because really, this is not very romantic.

For the past two years, I’ve posted the recipe for my beloved late mother-in-law’s sugar cookies along with that most gorgeous  of poems, the one by e.e.cummings, “I carry your heart with me.” I said that I’d keep posting the same thing forever.

Grandmother's sugar cookies

Then this happened; I made this wonderful red wine jelly. And I like it so much that I’m posting it instead.

red wine jelly 5

Four ingredients and twenty minutes and you’ve got yourself a wonderful jelly that works equally well with either savouries like a cheese platter or a turkey sandwich; or sweets like waffles or crepes. Or pile it atop toast and peanut butter. Maybe on a bagel with cream cheese. Or serve it like I did here, on Welsh griddle cakes. It would be good too, for dessert, on a sophisticated cake, perhaps along the lines of an Olive Oil and Rosemary Cake, along with some whipped cream.

If you buy the smallest mason jars (125 ml in Canada) you can make about 12 jars of this jelly out of one bottle (plus 1/4 cup more) of wine – making it so easy to spread the love.

So instead of the bringing the roses (and all the thorny issues that go along with them), bring somebody a jar of this jelly and a wedge of some gorgeous cheese, and a bottle of wine. Love in the kitchen. Happy Valentine’s Day!

red wine jelly

Red Wine Jelly

• Servings: 10-12 125ml jars
  • 3 1/4 cups wine (you can use red, white, or rose or a mix. I used a Cabernet Sauvignon which resulted in a beautifully coloured jelly. NB. One bottle will not be enough. You will need to have a little from a second bottle – anything will do! I used a splash of a Pinot noir sitting on the counter to make up the extra 1/4 cup of wine needed)
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 box of fruit pectin crystals (such as Certo or equivalent. My box was 57 grams but I think they are pretty universally standard)
  • 4 cups sugar

First, sterilize the jars, lids, and sealers by whatever method you choose. I washed them thoroughly with hot soapy water, then rinsed and drained. Then I put them in the oven at 275 degrees F for about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, bring the wine, lemon juice and pectin to the boil in a large stainless steel pan, stirring frequently.

Once the mixture is at a full boil, add the sugar and continue stirring. Bring back to a full rolling boil, stirring the entire time, and set timer for 2 minutes. Leave heat at medium high – stir for the entire two minutes.

Once the timer goes off, remove from the heat immediately and pour into the sterilized jars. Seal asap and then set the jars aside for 24 hours where they can sit without being disturbed.

• Reply apuginthekitchen February 9, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Wow Lindy I love this, Sounds so delicious, Now you have me thinking, sangria jelly, mulled wine jelly, OMG, love this.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske February 9, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Suzanne – 4 ingredients and 20 minutes – it’s my kind of recipe. And yes, sangria jelly and mulled wine jelly would be fantastic. GREAT idea!!!

• Reply mawarre February 9, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Great recipe – and applause for the anti rose buying in the middle of winter stance. It’s smmer in my part of the world (Australia) but where I live it is way too hot for roses at the moment – money down the drain as they only last for a day because of the humidity. People down south where it is much milder and roses blooming everywhere can go nuts, but I much prefer to have a gift of time and attention rather than any purchased gift. (And I am a hopeless romantic) Will be making this recipe next time I have a cheeseboard, rather than the usual quince paste. THanks for sharing. margaret

• Reply Lindy Mechefske February 9, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I think we’re kindred spirits Margaret because I’m a hopeful(!) romantic. And I lived for years in Australia and love the place so much. I think you’d like the jelly – it’s surprisingly full flavoured. And really, so elegant and so easy. Nice to hear from you and I promise to do some blog visiting soon. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Reply Stacey Bender February 10, 2016 at 1:02 am

Oh, you do bring the love. Who wouldn’t prefer a jar of this deep colored jelly over roses and their “thorns”. Lovely photo and I’m sure you Mother-in-law would understand.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske February 10, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Stacey – SO very happy to hear from you. I promise, I’m heading over to my reader next to find out what you and all my other favourites have been up to in the kitchen. Early happy Valentine’s Day, and to Buddy and Ginger as well. xox

• Reply Amanda | What's Cooking February 10, 2016 at 1:21 am

Lindy, this is beautiful and right up my alley. I have to (!) Make this jelly. But I must admit those cookies look perfect and the poem is beautiful. Im making all of it, the jelly, the cookies and the poetry. Be well and much love. Xo

• Reply Lindy Mechefske February 10, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Amanda, I must get busy making your homemade ricotta – which of course – would be divine with some red wine jelly.
      I’m sorry to be such a rotten blogging friend. Will change my subscription list so that I get emails (had all emails turned off while I was dealing with life). You cannot know how thrilled I am to hear from you. Thank you. Happy Valentine’s Day, early, and much love to you too. xox

• Reply Kerry February 10, 2016 at 2:44 am

Great post and recipe Lindy. I’d love a recipe for a basalmic jelly. Do you have one? Do you think I could substitute basalmic vinegar for the wine and get something that tastes yummy? I used to buy a PC brand basalmic jelly but can’t find it anymore.

• Reply Ruth Wood February 10, 2016 at 9:02 am

MMMM! Lindy, you have stirred up some lovely memories for me. My father used to make his own wine, not from grapes but from just about any other fruit including wild choke cherries. I would love to try this recipe with a bottle of his choke cherry wine but I will settle for Pinot Noir.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske February 10, 2016 at 1:03 pm

RUTH! So fabulous to see you here. I’ve had choke cherry wine, and dandelion wine, and elderberry wine. And you’re right a bottle of fruit wine would be perfect for making this jelly. Do you remember the choke cherries draining in the cheesecloth? I’ve got an old book called Wild Plums in Brandy, and there’s a recipe in it for choke cherry wine. If you find yourself with a glut of choke cherries next summer – I’ll send you over the book. In the meantime, yes, a pinot noir will do very nicely! Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Reply Karen February 11, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Your red wine jelly looks like a jewel. It would make a wonderful hostess gift.

• Reply Anita Kushwaha February 11, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Wow, this is lovely, Lindy! And it’s so true about the roses…and the greeting cards. I had to break it to my husband this year that I’m not doing the card thing anymore. So at x-mas I baked his a shortbread “card” and on V Day I am aiming for chocolate souffle but we’ll see what I end up with, ha ha. How are things lately? Are book things going well? Hope you have a Happy V Day! 🙂

• Reply SweetJ June 17, 2016 at 10:38 am

What a cool idea! I never thought to use wine in jelly but with grapes being the main ingredient, it makes perfect sense. I’ll definitely have to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske June 18, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Thank you! It’s such a great and easy jelly. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

I'd love to hear from you...