chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes

December 4, 2015
chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes

If you’re afraid of sugar – just look away now.  These chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes are sinful. And truly, I don’t normally cook like this. Or eat like this. Honestly. There’s been homemade baked beans, sweet potato lasagna, curried butternut squash soup, and a couple of beautiful frittatas, and all manner of other reasonable, healthy food in my kitchen over the course of the last couple of weeks. But as great as a kale, sausage,and feta frittata is, how could it possibly compare to a cupcake? Especially a chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake?

I was working on a freelance story a couple of weeks ago, when the person I was interviewing happened to mention these cupcakes in passing. “WOW,” I said, swooning ever so slightly over the mere thought of them (I was very hungry at the time), “May I please have the recipe?”

Turns out, I couldn’t wait to get the recipe, so I invented my own. One of my daughters (grown-up and working on her master’s degree) has a birthday coming up and I thought I’d do a trial run. I used my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe (essentially brown sugar shortbread with dark chocolate chips to which I normally also add crystallized ginger) and a bog standard vanilla cupcake recipe. The crowning glory – cookie dough frosting. The cupcakes didn’t hang around long. The birthday is next week and I’ll be making another batch. These are seriously festive party food. Rich, delicious, irresistible. Cupcakes for adults.

chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes

You need to start well ahead of when you’ll need these because the chocolate chip cookie dough should be frozen first. Once you have that done – the cupcakes are a breeze to whip up. The cakes will rise up beautifully but when you take them out of the oven – they will collapse. Don’t worry. That’s normal. The frozen dough will do that but it’s part of the charm. There’s no egg in the cookie dough so there’s no risk of poisoning everyone either. A win win! 😉

chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes 2

This will make about 12-14 cupcakes depending on what size cupcake liners you use. I used extra-large (not jumbo) and the proportions seemed about right.

These seem like exactly the right thing for a party – so I’m taking them over to Fiesta Friday with huge gratitude to host, Angie, and co-hosts, Johanne@French Gardener Dishes and Liz@spades, spatulas & spoons!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

For the cookie dough:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
  • dash salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips – use mini chips or lightly process the larger chips in your food processor to make for easier cutting of the frozen dough

For the cupcakes:

• 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/2 cup safflower oil (or other decent quality oil)
  • 1 & 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (sour your own with a tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar)

For the cookie dough frosting:

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cups icing sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • dash salt
  • 1 tbsp milk or cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Cookie Dough:

Begin well in advance by mixing the chocolate chip cookie dough. Cream the butter and sugar together, add the flour and salt. Mix in the chocolate chips. Roll the dough into a long sausage and cover in Saran wrap or wax paper and freeze for at least four hours.

Cupcake batter:

To make the cupcake batter, beat the eggs and sugar for about a minute. Add the vanilla and oil and beat another minute. Stir together the dry ingredients and add half the mixture, then half the buttermilk and mix gently. Repeat using up the flour mixture and buttermilk, and mixing gently until just combined.

Heat oven to 350 (I used convect bake).  Line a couple of cupcake tins with cupcake/muffin liners.

Place a tablespoon or so over cupcake batter into the bottom of the cupcake liners.

Remove the frozen dough from freezer and slice into 14 equally sized, approximately 3/4 inch / 2cm high  discs.

Place the discs of frozen dough on the cupcake batter. Cover with remaining cupcake batter. Make sure the cookie dough is covered. You can fill the liners at least 2/3 full and possibly a little more. If you have leftover dough – make a plain cupcake or two.

Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until risen and browned. You want the cupcake batter cooked so you can test with a toothpick but the cookie dough will remain doughy. if the cupcake batter is cooked, remove the cupcake and let them cool completely in the pan. Don’t overcook these. Mine were ready at 12 minutes. If you err on the side of caution – you will end up cooking your cookie dough too – and the cupcakes just won’t be as fabulous.

Cookie Dough Frosting:

Using a hand beater (or stand mixer if you have one – I don’t) – beat all the ingredients until well-mixed. Adjust if necessary by adding a tiny bit more milk or icing sugar to achieve correct consistency. Frost the cooled cupcakes.

• Reply apuginthekitchen December 4, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Lindy those cupcakes are amazing, I don’t mind having some sugar especially around the holidays, Cookie dough in a cupcake, yes please.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Aw, Suzanne – thanks. I’ve been posting nothing but desserts for a while now and I’m starting to feel guilty. I do actually eat proper food. I promise!

• Reply Laura mechefske December 4, 2015 at 4:16 pm

As always – mind & taste buds blown. I would push people out of the way to get at these cupcakes. Can’t wait to make a batch of my own, but thanks for sharing yours!!
    Xo

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Yours will be better, I’m sure. I think we could try a Bailey’s frosting on these too! <3

• Reply Amanda December 4, 2015 at 6:11 pm

These look so good. I love the cookie dough recipe without the egg. I may just eat that before it becomes a cupcake. Your healthy recipes look so good too. Lots of good stuff here! Hope all is well!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Amanda – finally a moment to catch up. These are birthday party fare for grown-up (but not too grown-up) daughters. One has a very sweet tooth. And these were for her.
      I just spent an hour going through my reader and I’m so inspired. That loaf you brought to Thanksgiving – gorgeous. And your delicata galette – just beautiful. But it was your post on apple latkes and the significance of food symbols which I absolutely loved and am still thinking about.
      xo

• Reply Johnny Hepburn December 4, 2015 at 7:22 pm

So the cookie sinks. I’ve no idea how these would be as I neither make cookies nor cupcakes. But from the photo (where you’ve sliced into it) that looks like it might be the case. Have you heard of pies baked within a cake? Actually, I prefer your idea as soggy pastry doesn’t do it for me. With yours the cookie must get almost baked. These sound perfect for holiday food. 🙂

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Aha Johnny – your comment made me smile. A pie within a cake. A duck within a chicken within a turkey. Get stuffed! (That’s the theme…) What will they think of next??? But seriously – yes – the unbaked frozen cookie kind of fell through the batter.
      Remember when we were young and had an iced sponge for birthday parties – and if we were lucky – there were sprinkles or smarties on top? the times they are a changin’….

• Reply Elly December 4, 2015 at 9:18 pm

So yummy!!!

• Reply missemzyy December 5, 2015 at 2:18 am

These look like the perfect indulgence after a couple of weeks of eating healthy!! Love love love cookie dough! x

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Yes, so true but now I feel the serious need to get back to healthy again!

• Reply Johanne Lamarche December 5, 2015 at 9:43 am

If you’re going to indulge, these cupcakes sure are the guilty pleasure worth doing it with Lindy!!!

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Every now and then we fall off the cliff a little and then have to haul our way back up, right Johanne? I’m hauling now 😉

• Reply Liz @ spades, spatulas, and spoons December 5, 2015 at 5:35 pm

What a great idea. I don’t usually eat much sugar but would make an exception here. You made my mouth water.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:44 pm

So funny Liz because when I heard them mentioned in passing – my mouth watered too. Sounded like something I had to try. They’re kind of ridiculous but fun.

• Reply Jhuls December 8, 2015 at 2:37 am

These cupcakes sound amazing. 😀

• Reply Lindy Mechefske December 9, 2015 at 5:44 pm

thanks Jhuls – and they disappeared in a hurry! thank goodness…

• Reply tableofcolors December 9, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Although I generally eat healthy, a treat now and then is definitely allowed! The cupcakes look amazing and I think my children would agree! 🙂

• Reply Karen December 19, 2015 at 3:44 pm

What a fun sounding recipe…I know our family would love these.