rhubarb curd

July 11, 2015

This is my lovely new site – no thanks to me, but instead – huge gratitude to the fantastic crew at the Mortimer Marketing Group in Ottawa. I’m so excited to have this brighter, cleaner, more legible, mobile-friendly/responsive space to work in.

Please let me know if you encounter glitches and I’ll work on sorting them. And a huge thank you to all of you who read and follow me including my fellow food bloggers. I’ve been remiss with visiting blogs lately as I wrap up a couple of big work projects but am looking forward to spending a lot more time back on the circuit.

In the meantime, I’m still in my kitchen. And I know I’ve been posting way too many rhubarb recipes but a couple of weeks ago, I had a delightful visit from fellow food blogger, Hilda, from Along the Grapevine. She brought me a large bag of garlic scapes and  asked me if I wanted some rhubarb as well. Who could say no? The scapes were eaten almost immediately – mostly sauteed (sounds so much better than fried, doesn’t it?) in bacon fat. Insanely good. And I also made a little garlic scape pesto.

And then I made a batch of rhubarb curd with Hilda’s rhubarb. A dear friend served rhubarb curd with a beautiful cake at a dinner party a couple of weeks ago. That sent me looking for recipes. I found one on the BBC website. But it seemed too complicated since it required using a food processor to process the raw rhubarb and then somehow straining it, etc., and it was about then I tuned out. So then  I found another recipe on the Canadian Chatelaine website. It seemed easier but way too eggy.

So this is my own rhubarb curd recipe. I’ve made it twice now and I love it. It’s tangy and creamy all at once. The texture reminds me of lemon curd but the taste is distinctly rhubarb. In fact – it tastes a lot like an old fashioned rhubarb custard pie. You could serve it on scones, or dolloped on a rhubarb cake or plain pound cake. Or eat it with yogurt, or spooned over ice cream, or served over fresh berries. I think it would make a superb base for a homemade rhubarb ice cream. And I’ll tell you, it’s pretty fine just simply spooned straight out of the jar!

A little aside – this is a great kitchen science project on colour mixing because the stewed rhubarb starts out quite red but changes colour rather drastically when you add the eggs – giving the curd the luscious lemony hue.

stewed rhubarb

Thank you Hilda! I loved your gifts from the garden. Thank you Mortimer Marketing Group for the beautiful new blog. Thank you Joy for the gorgeous dinner at your house and the introduction to rhubarb curd. Thank you every single one of you who follows me. I am truly grateful.

Rhubarb Curd

• Difficulty: easy
  • 2 cups washed, dried, chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • tiny bit of salt
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

Bring the rhubarb and water to the boil over medium-high heat stirring often. Lower the temperature and cook until the rhubarb is very soft. Add another tablespoon of water if required but so long as you have the heat low enough and stir occasionally – there shouldn’t be any need.

In the meantime, in a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the sugar. Once the rhubarb is completely soft, turn the heat down to low, and stir in the sugar and eggs. Add the salt and lemon juice. Turn the heat back to medium high and stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a low boil. Turn the heat back down and stir for another minute or two. Once it is quite thick (will still be slightly runny), remove from the heat. Let it cool a little and it will thicken slightly more.

Once the mixture is reasonably cool, transfer to the food processor and add the butter. Pulse until the mixture is completely smooth. Bottle and refrigerate.

rhubarb curd 2

• Reply apuginthekitchen July 11, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Lindy congratulations I LOVE your new site, it’s crisp and clean and the white background really makes your gorgeous photo’s pop. LOVE IT!!! Oh yes that rhubarb curd sounds totally delicous.

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 11, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Suzanne – thank you. You have to be the most conscientious, generous, and wonderful food blogger out there. SO appreciate you! And thanks for letting me know – I’m so so glad you like the site. The curd – yes – easy, breezy, beautiful… 😉

• Reply Jude July 11, 2015 at 5:40 pm

The site looks lovely. Congrats.

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 11, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Thanks Jude! Great to hear from you and much appreciated.

• Reply Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs July 11, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Congratulations Lindy! What an absolutely gorgeous new look! It’s crisp.. It’s clean.. It’s perfect. I’m so happy for you! It’s fun, isn’t it? ❤️

The rhubarb curd sounds fabulous. It’s going to be a must try for sure!

Sending my love your way… ❤️

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 11, 2015 at 10:36 pm

PRUDY! I’ve been thinking about your for the past couple of months. I am insanely happy to hear from you. THANK YOU… thank you… thank you. <3

• Reply Kitsch n flavours July 11, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Your new site looks great (I think I’ve probably whinged/moaned/mentioned that white text on black is very difficult to read). And I’m having a bit of a duh moment – rhubarb curd. There I thought there was only lemon. This is why I follow certain blogs (should check my spelling as I’m watching moths by my window) as I’m always learning new stuff.

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 11, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Johnny – thank you! 😉
      I hadn’t had rhubarb curd either but it’s a discovery worth knowing about. I love rhubarb. I think everyone with a patch of ground should have a rhubarb plant. I’ve noticed one of my neighbours has an epic patch in their front yard. Makes more sense than growing grass!

• Reply An Embarrassment of Freedom July 11, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Very nice new blog and love the seasonal cooking ideas.
    I love those garlic scapes and just throw them into my one pot wonders. Today at our teeny tiny farmer’s market (3 vendors today) I got some more garlic scapes and a box of wild blackberries picked from the very woods that are part of our small village. I think I will make them into a little stewed fruit and put that in the middle of a plain muffin. I’ve done this with mixed whole berries, a little sugar and cinnamon.
    Your rhubarb curd sounds great and I know my sister-in-law will want this recipe too!

• Reply An Embarrassment of Freedom July 11, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Congratulations on the new book too!

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 11, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Goodness – my new site ate the first reply I wrote. I love the sound of your tiny market with three vendors and wild blackberries – blissful wild blackberries. And thank you for your lovely generous comment. So appreciated. xo

• Reply Hilda July 11, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Lindy, your site is looking great. It is so like you to come up with a brilliantly original recipe like this with the bit of rhubarb I gave you. I am definitely going to have to try this.

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 11, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Thank you Hilda – and thank you again for the visit and gifts from the garden. I think you’ll love the curd. And given the late onset of hot weather – I bet your rhubarb has not yet had time to get tough. xo

• Reply Amanda July 12, 2015 at 12:27 am

Lindy, your new blog is beautiful! So are all of these rhubarb recipes. And this book! That’s what you’ve been working on? ?? I cannot wait to read it and spend time in your beautiful new space. So much to catch you up on. I’ll drop by age I’ve looked around a bit. So great to see all of your work come to fruition. I hope you’re having a great summer. Xo

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 12, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Amanda! Am actually working on a new project now but it’s been a crazy few months. So much going on. Houses and renovations and books and children and elderly parents and travels and work and one large dog. Life in all its full-on richness – the good the bad and everything in between and beyond. I don’t know how you do it – your life between between two countries. xox

• Reply Elly July 12, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Oh my gosh – your new website is beautiful! I love it! xoxox

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 12, 2015 at 3:14 pm

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

• Reply Amanda July 13, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Lindy…the new look is perfect. And rhubarb curd…who knew? Sir John’s Table looks beautiful…love that blue and that cutlery. I know what’s inside will be even better than the cover.

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Aw Amanda – love you to bits! Thank you. We’re going to have to figure out how to collide again one of these days… xo

• Reply chef mimi July 18, 2015 at 11:22 am

Beautiful! Love the new look. To be honest, I dislike blogs with black backgrounds because they’re hard to read!!!

• Reply mechefske@yahoo.ca July 19, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Mimi – it’s true – they are hard to read. I kept trying new themes but couldn’t get happy with any of them ’til I enlisted professional help!

• Reply Tasty Eats Ronit Penso July 21, 2015 at 12:53 am

Beautiful new site!

I’m amazed by the change of color of the curd. Such a shame rhubarb season is over here. I’ll keep this in mind for next year! 🙂

• Reply Cynthia Reyes July 24, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Congrats on the site and the recipe, Lindy.

• Reply Lindy Mechefske July 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Cynthia – lovely to hear from you and much appreciated.

• Reply Maria Dernikos August 20, 2015 at 3:37 pm