rhubarb sorbet

June 6, 2015

The other evening when I was out with my dog just after sunset, in the gloaming – that time  after dusk but before the full, velveteen darkness of night has descended – I watched a field of fireflies lighting up like fairy lights twinkling across the land.

This is late spring in Ontario. Not quite summer yet. The weather is erratic. Alternately warm, hot, cold, dry, wet, windy, still. Everything has burst into life. The trees are now in full leaf and the greens are intense, vibrant. The sky is vivid blue. The ponds and creeks are full of frog noises. The birds are endlessly busy. One afternoon last week, I came across a family of chickadee fledglings on the ground virtually motionless – not yet able to fly – no parents in sight. Worried that they’d die or be eaten by a cat, I came back twice more. The second time they were taking their first tentative, four-inch, hopping flights across the grass.  The last time I came back, they’d vanished, learned to fly in one day and flown to safety before nightfall. Nature is full of miracles.

chicks

My new garden too, is bursting forth. I’ve planted tomatoes, arugula, rhubarb, lettuce, zucchini and lots of herbs; basil, chives, lavender, mint, and thyme. I particularly love the perennial and self-seeding things that just keep giving. Next, I’ll plant asparagus and flowers for the bees.

In the meantime, I’m loving having fresh rhubarb. This week I made a small batch of a simple rhubarb sorbet. It’s tart and fresh tasting and you can easily make this without an ice cream maker. I don’t have one and since I don’t have room to store one, I have no plans in my future for anything more in my kitchen, except of course, for good food.

Eat the sorbet by itself, or serve it with fresh berries, or fresh mint, or on a dense dark chocolate cake – like this easy, flourless, dark chocolate torte. Best to make this with young, fresh, red rhubarb because the young tender red stalks will give you the best colour. Throw a few berries into the mix if your rhubarb is more green than red. Enjoy…

Rhubarb Sorbet

• 2 and 1/2  cups of washed, trimmed, and cut young red rhubarb
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup water
  • handful of strawberries or mixed blueberries, strawberries, raspberries (optional)

Bring all the ingredients to the boil over medium-high heat while stirring frequently. Continue to cook on a low boil over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes or until the fruit is fully tender. Remove from the heat and let cool. Once cool, put the mixture through the blender or food processor. Pour into a freezer suitable container and freeze until hard. Remove from the freezer five minutes before serving.

rhubarb sorbet

• Reply Ginger June 6, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Wow! I was wondering the other week if it would make sense to make rhubarb ice cream, and there you come along with sorbet!

• Reply love in the kitchen June 6, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Ginger – The sorbet is easy and works for my dairy-free daughter but truly I bet some strawberry rhubarb ice cream would be dreamy….

• Reply apuginthekitchen June 6, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I have a bunch of rhubarb I will make your sorbet. It looks lovely and sounds delicous. Just made a sorbet today, want to keep going with different flavors. They are so light and refreshing. Glad those adorable chickadee’s are safe.

• Reply love in the kitchen June 6, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I was worried about those chickadees. I’ve never seen baby birds just stationary in the grass like that before. A little alarming. It’s pretty miraculous really – they flop out of the nests – fall to the ground where they lay about stunned until they finally start to hop and fly.
      And oh yes, the sorbet! So yummy!!

• Reply Kitsch n flavours June 6, 2015 at 6:34 pm

It’s that easy to make? Sorbet is always one of my favourites. And I’ve got rhubarb lurking in my kitchen (I couldn’t be bothered to make jam). Ah, freezer isn’t on.
    Love the use of velveteen, BTW.

• Reply love in the kitchen June 6, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Johnny – your whole comment made me smile but especially the last bit – thank you. xo

• Reply Hilda June 7, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I have made all sorts of rhubarb recipes, and all sorts of sorbets, but never combined the two. I will be making this soon for sure.

• Reply Jenny June 7, 2015 at 8:00 pm

This looks wonderful! I just made a rhubarb pie and have some rhubarb left over. I will try this recipe with that! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply love in the kitchen June 8, 2015 at 9:36 am

It’s so easy Jenny – hope you enjoy and thank you for commenting. 😉

• Reply Elly June 7, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Wow this looks so delicious ! I want to steal some of your rhubarb so i can try some, haha! Love you xoxo

• Reply tinywhitecottage June 8, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I love this post Lindy. The little chick-a-dees, the sorbet and your description of spring in Ontario all sounds so lovely. Your sorbet would be so perfect this evening since our temps are hotter than usual. We have an unusual amount of bunnies this year! So sweet seeing little baby bunnies running around. 🙂 Nice to see your post this evening.

• Reply love in the kitchen June 8, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Seana – always SO happy to see you. Interesting that we’re on a rabbit theme! Last post it was white rabbits – this time the plethora of bunnies. I’ve been seeing rabbits everywhere this spring too. So many bunnies. My dog LOVES them all!
      xo

• Reply tinywhitecottage June 8, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Yes, my dog too. Unfortunately last Monday he caught a baby bunny in our backyard and played a little rough with it… 🙁 it ruined our day. It’s tough to see nature play out isn’t it? He’s never done anything like that before and I think it ruined his day too. I love it when I see you have a new post up!

• Reply The wandering gastronomist June 9, 2015 at 12:28 am

Sounds absolutely amazing. My partner has just bought me an Ice-cream churner, so I will have to give it a go once summer returns to Australia.

• Reply chef mimi June 15, 2015 at 10:16 am

nice. i wish i could taste this sorbet. rhubarb is so unique!

• Reply milk & marigolds girl June 17, 2015 at 9:58 am

How refreshing! I must try!

• Reply Cecilia June 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I love rhubarb, and as sorbet it must be awesome! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Cynthia Reyes July 30, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Nature and life are indeed full of miracles.

• Reply Liz Collet May 28, 2017 at 5:47 am

Thanks for sharing that amazing sorbet recipe, Lindy! It’s perfect for these days to enjoy it, greets from Germany and “The Blue Land”, Liz