paleo balls

August 24, 2014

010

What’s that you say? Not Paleo?

Neither am I.

I am interested in food though – all food – and especially healthy, tasty food. And I am interested in food trends even though I sometimes scoff at them. But when I was sitting in the dentist’s office and flipping through a magazine and saw these Paleo Balls – I just really liked the look and sound of them. So I made a quick note of the ingredients.

And then I forgot all about it.

Until recently, when I read that if you’re eating a wheat or gluten and/or dairy-free diet – Paleo options are a safe bet.

I’ve been trying to eliminate some of the wheat in my life because of migraine headaches. I’m really loathe to give wheat or gluten up altogether because I love bread and I don’t want to complicate my life with a restrictive diet if I don’t have to. I also love baking – and 99% of what I baked had wheat in it.  But when I gave up wheat about four weeks ago – my migraines stopped instantly. I haven’t had a headache of any kind since. This is kind of a miracle for me.

I’ve been experimenting with lots of new things to replace wheat. And then I stumbled across the note about these Paleo Balls. Unfortunately, it has been a while and my notes were very incomplete, so I had to experiment. And I can’t even tell you the original source since I didn’t write it down. I expected to Google the recipe and find the source – but that did not happen. From now on I’ll use my phone camera. I’m learning….

So here’s my version. You can either make this Paleo or not – the Paleo version should have almond butter – but if you’re not Paleo – go ahead and use peanut butter if that’s easier. (Paleo diet does not allow legumes – and peanuts are of course, legumes.) Apparently though, the Paleo diet allows a little dark chocolate. SO I added dark chocolate chips to my version even though the original recipe didn’t have any. I’m not really clear if the actual chips I used are Paleo or not because that’s not important to me.

What is important is that these balls are really delicious. They’re easy to make – remarkably healthy – and filling. So many great ingredients packed into them. They would be really good for packed lunches. Equally good with tea mid-afternoon. Perfect for travelling. Gluten and dairy-free. And seriously yummy.

Paleo or not – these are well worth trying.

Paleo Balls

• Servings: 20-24 balls
  • Difficulty: easy
  • 1/2 cup almond butter (can use peanut butter for non-paleo version)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup ground almonds
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/4 sunflower seeds
  • 2 tbsp liquid honey
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • shredded coconut – amount will vary – see instructions

Mix all the ingredients together. If the batter is not stiff enough to roll into balls – add a tablespoon or two of coconut. Roll into balls about 1 inch (2.5cm)  in diameter. They are better smaller rather than larger so don’t err on the size of being overly generous. Should make between 20 and 24 balls. Roll the balls in coconut. Bake at 350 degrees F for 3 minutes. Yes – 3 minutes. The coconut should be a little toasted. Remove from oven and let cool before serving or storing.

paleo balls uncooked

013

• Reply Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs August 24, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Oh, I love these! They look so darn yummy!! It amazes me every time I hear about the elimination of wheat in a persons diet, and how they’re miraculously cured. At first I didn’t believe that something like wheat could cause so many complications, buy the more I hear about it, the more I do believe. I had a conversation with one of the guys at work about this… And I asked if maybe it wasn’t the wheat itself, but the additives used to break it down and preserve it. I don’t know much about all of that, but I’m certain that chemicals are involved someway, somehow. It just seems like we never heard of wheat issues 50 years ago. I think the foods that we eat and think are fresh and healthy, are slowly poisoning us! But then again, sadly..I don’t know enough about it to really even say anything about it! So please disregard this whole paragraph… And just know that I would happily eat these lovely paleo balls… Love you much.. ❤️

• Reply love in the kitchen August 24, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I know – I LOVE wheat. Blarg. It’s sad really. I don’t know enough about it either – I’ve heard that wheat is so genetically modified now that it is not the same crop it was even 25 years ago. But like you – I don’t know. Who do we trust? All I know is I read a summary of a journal publication about migraines and wheat (from a reputable Australian university) and I thought – I’ll try this for 10 days. I have a migraine a week – and my migraines last 2-3 days. And I take a lot of prescription medication when I have one. What could I lose? First week – no migraine. Second week – no migraine. Third week – no migraine. Etc. So now – sadly – I’m kissing my love affair with wheat goodbye. Mostly.
      The paleo balls are fantastic. You cannot go wrong with ground almonds, chocolate, etc.
      And you – you’re the best. Love you much as well. truly. <3

• Reply apuginthekitchen August 24, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I think they sound wonderful, so you gave up wheat and are now headache free, that really is pretty miraculous. It would be very hard to go paleo for me but I have considered it. The little paleo balls really sound delicious, chocolate, coconut, almond, cranberry etc…. really very nice,

• Reply love in the kitchen August 24, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Agreed Suzanne -and thanks for your comment! I’m not going Paleo either – going wheat-free is bad enough! I honestly love wheat. Good bread = heaven. We have a bakery in Kingston that makes sourdough that is like manna. Olive and rosemary sourdough. How will I live without that?! But yes – losing the migraines is how I will live without that. 😉

• Reply My Little Home and Garden August 24, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I’m not paleo here either. Frankly, I hadn’t run across the term (or it had washed over me as “not applicable” things sometimes do) until I needed to rustle up a gluten free lunch for a friend a couple of days ago. Even though I appear to blessed with a cast iron stomach, your creation looks and sounds delicious.

• Reply love in the kitchen August 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I know there are worse things than giving up wheat. But honestly – I’m hard pressed to remember them! I said I’d do this for ten days. At the end of those ten days – I knew I had to keep going but it’s not easy. However, I say to myself… I can still eat chocolate, and olives, and cheese, and drink wine… so how can I complain? The little paleo balls would be perfect for a gluten-free guest because everyone would enjoy them. SO simple. And truly – so delicious. Thank you, as always, for stopping by. I love hearing from you.

• Reply Isabelita's Larder August 24, 2014 at 4:58 pm

These sound wonderful! I am trying to be healthy so perfect timing for this post!

• Reply love in the kitchen August 24, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Isabelita! I know – the trying to be healthy thing – I think we’re all trying. These are actually so easy and so yummy. Hope you give them a try. Love that last post of yours.

• Reply Isabelita's Larder August 24, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Sadly I think we are always going to be trying! Not easy when you have a food blog! I will give them a try and let you know how I get on. Thank you!

• Reply Fae's Twist & Tango August 25, 2014 at 2:33 am

These balls are made of delights. If I start eating them, there will be no stopping me.

• Reply Karen August 25, 2014 at 7:41 am

I can see why these balls would have caught your eye. Your version sounds great and would be perfect with a cup of tea for an afternoon pick me up.

• Reply Does Paleo Diet Allow Honeywell | Paleo Recipes August 31, 2014 at 10:18 pm

[…] paleo balls | love in the kitchen ♥ – Apparently though, the Paleo diet allows a little dark chocolate. SO I added dark chocolate chips to my version even though the original recipe didn’t have any. I’m not really clear if the actual chips I used are Paleo or not because that’s not important to me. […]

• Reply tortadellafiglia September 1, 2014 at 5:08 am

Oh! those balls have stolen my heart!

• Reply eloisesedibles October 16, 2014 at 12:20 am