the NYT classic chocolate chip cookie

May 17, 2014

choc chip cookies 4

Lately there’s been a run on chocolate chip cookie posts on various blogs I follow including The Broken Bread. The result is that I’ve been craving a batch myself.  And although you likely already have a favourite recipe of your own  – if you haven’t already discovered the Jacques Torres recipe posted in 2009 in The New York Times – then perhaps it’s time to give it a try.

choc chip cookies 3

I don’t know if these are actually the best chocolate chip cookies going.  But they are pretty damn tasty. And it’s hard to argue with The New York Times. Personally I like these crystallized ginger and chocolate shortbread drops just as much or more but change is good and I try not to get too stuck in a rut in the kitchen.

I don’t actually make them the way Jacques Torres does. For one thing – I don’t bother with the cake flour and bread flour – I just use unbleached all-purpose flour. Organic if I’m in the mood. And I don’t use bittersweet chocolate disks. I use a 350 gram bag of pure, semi-sweet chocolate chips. I do bother with the sea salt and pure vanilla. And because dairy-free daughter is home – I made this batch with – shock, horror – margarine.  That’s the price of love. Sometimes you have to sacrifice.

chocolate chip cookies

I also make the dough in advance – just as the recipe calls for. It means a bit of deferred gratification – a modicum of self-discipline. There’s no rule though, about sampling the dough in the meantime. I think waiting the required time to bake the cookies is likely worth it but then again – I haven’t tried making a batch without waiting.

If you make them on parchment – the way the recipe calls for – you might want to use some of the parchment to bundle them up afterwards. And then give them away to whoever you cross paths with.

choc chip cookie bundles

I think these would be really good with some reese’s pieces added. But for now, here’s my version of the classic NYT recipe.

NYT Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Servings: about 36 cookies
  • Time: start the day before

• 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter or margarine
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp natural vanilla
  • 350 grams pure  semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • sea salt for sprinkling on top

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

Beat the butter (or margarine) and sugars for about five minutes or until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until mixed.

Stir the flour into the butter and sugar mixture and mix to combine. Add the chocolate chips.

Cover the cookie dough with a lid or saran wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. (Supposedly this is vital.)

Roll the dough into balls (NYT recipe says they should be the size of “generous golf balls” – mine were about an inch in diameter. I don’t golf.)

Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets  (or grease your cookie sheets which is the way it’s been done for hundreds of years before we got our hands on parchment paper).

Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sea salt and bake at 325 for about 15-20 minutes. The original recipe calls for a 350 degree oven – but I find that too hot. Could just be my oven. I like my cookies a bit on the underdone side – soft and melty. Make sure you eat a couple while they’re warm. ♥

choc chip cookies 2

• Reply Stacey Bender May 17, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Just thinking about you today and hoping I hadn’t been missing your posts once again. As always, love your style. Gasp, though, on the margarine, try olive oil or avocados instead.

• Reply love in the kitchen May 19, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Thanks Stacey – and not to worry – I only use non-hydrogenated margarine and even then – only when dairy-free girl comes home. ♥

• Reply tinywhitecottage May 18, 2014 at 11:24 am

I have nearly given up on creating perfect chocolate chip cookies. They are always flat, good tasting, just flat…so not perfect. I keep hearing about the resting time in the fridge now I’m convinced this is the missing vital step. Love how you bundled up a little stack to give and always love how you alter recipes for your daughter. :) So, I am not giving up so soon on the cookies, not until I follow your method and try again!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 19, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I have to say Seana – I like my chocolate chip and crystallized ginger shortbreads better than these. In fact – I think I should send The New York Times a heads-up that there are better cookies out there!
      Anyway – if you make ’em don’t be skimpy with the salt. ♥

• Reply apuginthekitchen May 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

I love Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies, his shop is near where I live in Brooklyn, it’s a wonderful recipe and although I have a recipe I always use I am going to try these. I also really love the ginger choco chip cookies, those sound heavenly!!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 19, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Oh lucky you – having access to all the fabulous NY foodie things. I bet that shop is fabulous. Love your broccoli, lemon, breadcrumb pasta. Going on my chalkboard menu this week. ♥

• Reply Kendra Pople-Easton May 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Is your ginger chocolate chip cookie recipe posted. OMG … They are to die for. Yummmmmmmm

• Reply Patty Nguyen May 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Chocolate chip cookies make the world go round. Yours look perfect!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 19, 2014 at 10:44 pm

You know what – I think you’re right. Except I’d just stop at chocolate. Chocolate makes the world go round. And perhaps coffee. And maybe cheese!

• Reply Patty Nguyen May 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Don’t forget ice cream!! Warm chocolate chip cookies topped with ice cream, plus a nice cup of coffee on the side to wash it all down. 😀 Now, I don’t know how to fit cheese in there, but I do love me some good cheese!! 😉

• Reply Laura Mechefske May 18, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Yummmmmmm. Best late night snack around!! Another winner – thanks for making them dairy free xoxoxoxo

• Reply Amanda May 19, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Wow. These look so fabulous. You really can’t get better than this. Well done admitting to the margarine! I’d be so tempted to eat these raw. Really great photos. I just want to reach in and steal them! I’ve got a really good cookie coming up too if it turns out okay.

• Reply love in the kitchen May 19, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Thanks Amanda. You’re such a sweetheart. I can’t wait to see those Mexican cookies you mentioned on Seana’s blog. Is that the really good cookie recipe you’re talking about above? I hope so. xo

• Reply Amanda May 20, 2014 at 10:50 am

It is the really good cookie! I can’t wait to make them….maybe tonight :)

• Reply juliaakoch May 19, 2014 at 8:11 pm

• Reply rickydanganan May 21, 2014 at 4:10 am

Hello there,
    We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in . Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and it deserves to be included on the Top list!! Great recipes!! We will feature your blog and we will make a lot of shout out about your foods and recipes on our fan pages so that people and our 3million users worldwide will be able to check it on our site.

MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.The Philippines has now a myTaste ( and it is officially live.

Since your blog is English with recipes that Filipinos and Asians could enjoy, we would like to invite you to add your food blog to the list.
    If you are interested, you can join us by following this link

This will expose your blog to lot of foodies in the Philippines, Asia and around the globe and could help to increase your blog traffic.

EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!!The World deserves to know how great a cook you are.

Kind Regard

• Reply ohlidia May 26, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I’ve got that Jacques Torres recipe as week and have been meaning to try it. If you say they’re the best chocolate chip cookies ever, then it must be so and I’ve got to give them a try. :-)