it’s gin o’clock: time for a blackberry gin fizz

May 2, 2014

Blackberry Gin Fizz (2)

It’s been one of those weeks. Nothing more need be said about that.  Time for a drink. I’m heading over to the (not-so) Novice Gardener’s Fiesta Friday for a bit of a party.

This is a new take on the gin fizz. Cocktail aficionados will have plenty to find fault with here. A real gin fizz most certainly does NOT have ice cream in it. Or blackberries. This is actually more like a blackberry and gin float. But it’s fruity and fizzy and foamy and surprisingly sophisticated. The flavour of the gin shines through. And it’s not overly sweet so if you like your cocktails both creamy and sweet – use ginger-ale instead of Perrier water. Either way, whether you’ve had one of those weeks or not, treat yourself to one of these asap.

Blackberry Gin Fizz

• 4 oz gin
  • 1/2 cup of blackberries
  • 1 small can Perrier (or ginger-ale if preferred)
  • 2 scoops  vanilla ice cream (I used Haagen-Dazs vanilla but am going to try using a dairy-free ice cream to make this drink for dairy-free daughter next time she’s home)

Whiz the blackberries in the blender until smooth. Use strawberries if you like something a bit less seedy but it’s hard to beat the flavour of blackberries.

Place a small scoop of ice cream in the bottom of a glass – such as a martini glass.

Spoon the blackberries over the ice cream.

Add the gin.

Add Perrier (or ginger-ale) to taste. Give the drink the quickest of stirs and serve immediately.

Bottoms up!

003

”Fiesta

• Reply Amanda May 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Yum. What a great drink to bring to a party! I agree she’s not so novice :) This drink sounds PERFECT. It has all of my fav ingredients. YUM! So summery.

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Amanda – thank you! It is not so summery in Eastern Ontario yet – hardly even spring-like but I wouldn’t ever let that stop me having a very summery drink! 😉

• Reply tinywhitecottage May 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Wow. Cocktail float is a great idea! Happy Friday, and enjoy the weekend.

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Seana – a float for the big kids! Cuz we just need something like that now and then….

• Reply thebrookcook May 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Amazing! sounds Fabulous!! :)

• Reply The Novice Gardener May 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Yum! That really sounds good! Makes my mouth water, Lindy. I’m going to dash out to get blackberries! :-)

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 10:58 pm

thanks for letting me come to the party Angie! You’re a perfect hostess and what’s all this about looking like a sausage?! xo

• Reply The Novice Gardener May 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Lol… mermaid gown isn’t for everyone, Lindy!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Well between the sausage comment and Johnny’s Harris Tweed undergarments – it was a quite a vicarious visual feast!

• Reply Stacey Bender May 2, 2014 at 4:40 pm

You had one of THOSE weeks too? I might need something a bit stronger but this sounds perfect for dessert. Happy Friday.

• Reply apuginthekitchen May 2, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I am so making this tonight, I love it!!!

• Reply cookingwithauntjuju.com May 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I would definitely enjoy one of these, maybe two and… :)

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm

You can have all you want because of course blackberries are the latest superfood (I may or may not have made that last bit up). 😉

• Reply Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs May 2, 2014 at 6:27 pm

How much fun is this drink?!! I love how you made it into a float.. its the perfect wind-me-down..and pick-me-up drink for one of those weeks… I’ll meet you at Angie’s place…I’m all about this drink now!! I hope your weekend is beautiful…<3

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Well I can’t say the weekend was beautiful but I loved the party. So tempting. And then there was Johnny’s Harris Tweed undergarments which frankly I don’t think we saw enough of. <3

• Reply Laura @ the gluten-free treadmill May 2, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Um, yum – this sounds perfect. It’s gin:30 here!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:11 pm

So the WordPress gremlins are at work because I definitely replied to this earlier and now can’t find the reply anywhere. Gin:30 made me laugh out loud. We now celebrate gin o’clock and gin thirty in this household!

• Reply Patty Nguyen May 2, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Ooh, you had me at ice cream and blackberries! 😉

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I’ve decided blackberries are a superfood. If they aren’t – they should be – or soon will be. Especially when fortified by gin and icecream 😉

• Reply Patty Nguyen May 4, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Only when fortified by gin and ice cream! 😉

• Reply MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar May 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Oh my goodness… how I love a good (fun and fruity optional) cocktail on a Friday afternoon after a long week… This one looks like SO much fun. Great post for Fiesta Friday!

• Reply Jennifer Smeltzer May 2, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Sounds perfect for a backyard, summer drink! Care to join me sometime??

• Reply My Little Home and Garden May 3, 2014 at 7:08 am

Here’s hoping your weekend is better than the work week. I can imagine sitting on a patio on a warm summer evening with this drink; the blackberry flavour would be delicious.

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Thank you and yes – my weekend was much better. Loved your last post – the ferry to Glenora. wonderful photographs.

• Reply saucygander May 3, 2014 at 8:38 am

How fun! You’ve turned a gin fizz into a gin float! :-) Sorry to hear you had one of those weeks… it’s definitely gin o’clock (maybe with extra ice cream on the side)!
    I can see the Fiesta Friday crowd loves this drink, it looks like a real winner, thanks for bringing this to FF! 😀

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:26 pm

It was a great party! Fun to see so many people from all over the globe and so many fabulous dishes.

• Reply milk & marigolds girl May 3, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Man that sounds D’lish!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Minus the ice cream for you though – right? I’ll have to find a way to make an equally good dairy-free version. Dairy-free daughter is on the way home soon.

• Reply milkandbun May 4, 2014 at 10:35 am

My goodness! Absolutely amazing drink!

• Reply chefjulianna May 4, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Oh wow! The blackberries will be coming in very soon and I will pick them greedily for this gorgeous cocktail/float! How yummy is that? Thanks for bringing this to the always thirsty FF party! “D

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:28 pm

And thank you for the lovely comment. I’m envious that you will have blackberries soon. Mine were flown in from Mexico but desperate times require desperate measures!

• Reply Johnny / Kitschnflavours May 4, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Even though I don’t drink I used to like gin. Usually G&T. Or very, very dry martini. I love the flavours going on here. Kind of reminds me of cava and sorbet, which the Spanish drink sometimes. Along with dessert. That’s really nice!

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Thanks Johnny – you were the consummate host. And I’m still thinking about your Harris Tweed undergarments which tickled me pink (and probably tickled you pink too….).

• Reply ohlidia May 4, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Oh, I could sure use one of those right about now! Or three! :-)

• Reply love in the kitchen May 4, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Yes – a sure fire cure. You deserve a couple of these. So happy to have you back online. xo

• Reply gotasté May 11, 2014 at 11:13 am

Hello Lindy, sorry for not able to drop by your site in the last couple of months…it’s been crazy for me here in hong kong but I’ll be alright. Never knew gin can be made into such an interesting cocktail. I will sure to try. Summer is approaching and my headache will get worst..just the right remedy for me. Warmly, Danny

• Reply Allison (Spontaneous Tomato) June 19, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Gin o’clock is my favorite time of day!