Mexican dreaming / Mexican wedding cakes

March 3, 2014
Mexico

“In Mexico your wishes have a dream power. When you want to see someone, [s]he turns up.”

So said American novelist, painter, and primary figure of the Beat Generation, William Seward Burroughs II.

I love the idea of a nation where wishes have dream power. Where you can will things to happen.

I also happen to be a bit smitten with Mexico, at least of the bits I’ve seen. It’s such a slice of life – the wealth and poverty; the warmth and sunshine; the squalor, litter, and cockroaches; the gorgeous turquoise Caribbean, white beaches, and cloudless deep blue skies; the hawkers and wild dogs on the streets and the grinning toothless old men who greet you smiling; the battered bicycles and entire families on scooters, the clapped out cars and Cadillacs; the beautiful, beautiful babies; the music, the language, the fabulous cuisine, and of course, late-afternoon margaritas in the shade of the patio.

025

019

006

003

030

008

I got home late last night. At noon it was 25 degrees C in the shade by the pool in Mexico. Tonight the temperature is heading down to around minus 25 degrees C. That’s a fifty degree drop in temperature in a day.

Tonight dreaming of Mexico, I made Mexican Wedding Cakes, inspired by this recipe on Butter, Basil, and Breadcrumbs. I don’t know how much the cookies actually have to do with Mexico but it doesn’t matter – they’re pretty dreamy.mexican wedding cakes1

Mexican Wedding Cakes

• Servings: approx 24 cookies
  • Difficulty: not
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar (plus another 1/4 cup for rolling)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Oven – 350 degrees F

Cream together the butter and vanilla. Stir in the flour, icing sugar, and cinnamon. Add the chopped walnuts. Roll into balls about one inch in diameter.

Bake for 8-10 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Remove from oven, cool slightly, and roll in icing sugar.

mexican wedding cakes

• Reply Maria Dernikos March 3, 2014 at 6:30 am

Oh to be sitting beside that pool and eating those little cakes!

• Reply love in the kitchen March 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Yes Maria – a week there was not quite enough. I’m back in the snow and it feels already like it was all only a dream….

• Reply Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs March 3, 2014 at 6:32 am

Look at those photos.. Just beautiful! A margarita in the shade sounds so lovely right about now.. It seems there is no end in sight for this cold weather we’ve been having..

Now for the cookies… I’m so excited that you tried them! I’m so intrigued by the cinnamon.. I think adding it to the cookies was genius! Yum… I need to try this… Thank you <3

• Reply love in the kitchen March 3, 2014 at 10:33 am

Surely it will end soon?! I’ve been thinking over and over about that Laura Ingalls Wilder book – The Long Winter. Thank heavens we are not pioneers.
      The cookies are so good! Thank you for posting them! The cinnamon is because I found it in so many Mexican things – even the coffee. Just a tiny hint. Not enough to overpower because these cookies are so beautifully delicate – as you know. xo

• Reply Amanda March 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

SIGH. Lucky you. These are absolutely stunning. Welcome home. I can’t wait to see all of your Mexican recipes. I too am obsessed.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 3, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Thank you Amanda. And yes, SIGH. It all slips away so easily. Did you know Mexico is one of three countries to have UNESCO cultural recognition for their cuisine? The other two are France and Japan.

• Reply Amanda March 3, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Yum. I’m not surprised!

• Reply Amanda March 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Oh and William Burroughs….very cool. They knew a thing or two about a thing or two.

• Reply nedmiller March 3, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I have found that the dream power in Mexico is real! Even if you don’t have a wish, one will be made for you….and then come true. As with you, I found coming back from Mexico in February was a shock. My daughter and I were diving on a reef in the morning, and that night I was waiting outside for an airport shuttle in freezing temperatures. Does the cold do something to turn memories into dreams?

• Reply love in the kitchen March 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Oh I love this! I think it was Henry David Thoreau who said there is a strange power in repositioning oneself. And I would add – particularly true if one repositions oneself in Mexico. Something strangely enchanting about the place. I’m still contemplating your last sentence… interesting!

• Reply jess and kate March 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm

beautiful photos–the cookies look delicious and I swore I could smell butter and vanilla as I read your post!

• Reply apuginthekitchen March 4, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I have never been to Mexico but judging from those photo’s it is very beautiful, those little cookies look delicious and are the perfect addition after your gorgeous description and pictures.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 7, 2014 at 9:51 am

At least for me, Mexico is one of those places that leaves a deep impression. It’s one of three countries in the world that UNESCO recognizes for the importance of its food culture. It is actually a foodie’s paradise – so many distinctly Mexican tastes. And yes, it is beautiful in its own way but it is also quite impoverished. An interesting thing is how highly it ranks in happiness surveys despite the poverty. There’s food for thought in many ways in Mexico.

• Reply apuginthekitchen March 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

Really interesting, money doesn’t always bring happiness

• Reply love in the kitchen March 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

It’s a hard lesson to actually digest but watching Mexican families go by on a clapped out scooter SINGING – I actually felt the lesson! 😉

• Reply tinywhitecottage March 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Ahhh. The photographs are so dreamy. This is a beautifully written, photographed and baked post! Love the wedding cakes, isn’t Prudy’s blog wonderful? And I see you went back to your other theme. Nice.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 7, 2014 at 9:39 am

Thank you Seana! And yes, I love Prudy’s blog. I’m still thinking about one of her posts from a few months back – some little chocolate peanut butter cupcakes she made in small mason jars. I think I need to make those. Wish we could have an actual (rather than a virtual) party! xo

• Reply The Novice Gardener March 4, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Wish I could be in Mexico right now! Photos are gorgeous, Lindy! And the cakes look almost like what I made today. Well, I made beignets, but they were dusted with sugar, too. So, they’re similar. Would you like to join us for Fiesta Friday, Lindy? It’s a blog party I host. I think having you and some of your photos of Mexico would give it a true fiesta flavor! But, you’re welcome with or without the photos, of course. We just want you there mingling with us!

• Reply love in the kitchen March 5, 2014 at 10:48 pm

As much as I love a party – I must admit – I have no idea how to join Fiesta Friday. How does it work?!

• Reply The Novice Gardener March 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Oh, you just link your post and photo, that’s all! The guidelines are here:

Then, we visit each other’s site and leave a comment or two to show our support for one another. I have to say I find it really fun. Makes blogging more exciting! I hope you’ll join the party! 🙂

• Reply Karen March 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Your post was so beautifully written and points all that is both good and not so good in Mexico. I know that you made lots of memories during your stay. I love Mexican wedding cookies…they almost melt in your mouth.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 17, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Thank you so much Karen – what a lovely, thoughtful comment. I do have so many beautiful memories of Mexico, but one of my favourites is that of a man on a terribly beaten-up bicycle driving past me on the road singing beautifully and loudly to himself as he pedalled along. So very Mexican!

I'd love to hear from you...