how to date a supermodel

March 17, 2014

This headline, “How to date a supermodel,” caught my eye in a recent issue of The Economist . There’s not much danger of my even sighting a supermodel but….I read the story anyway. It is a pretty catchy headline.

The article was about misleading headlines. And like so many stories in  The Economist, it was a great read and so true – the number of misleading headlines is practically criminal. You know, the title that sucks you in and then leaves you wondering why you bothered and why you’re such a sucker. Except in this case, it made me laugh. There’s no copyright on titles – totally fair game for pilfering.

A friend of mine once sat in business class on a plane from Japan to Australia with a very, very, very famous Australian supermodel. She ate one strawberry (plucked from her champagne) in the entire 12 hour flight. Ug. That’s just not right. Something so wrong with the whole crazy world when half the world is obese and sadly, half is hungry, and meanwhile we uphold the anorexic, surgically augmented teenager as the ideal woman. (I’m paraphrasing this very last bit from Naomi Wolf’s The Beauty Myth here – she said something like this or at least along these lines.)

So really. Give me food. And give me people who love food. Real people and real food. Like this fabulous pizza. It’s my rendition of one of my favourites at a local Kingston restaurant – Woodenheads. You can read my recent review of Woodenheads in Kingston This Week here.

In the meantime, I hope they’ll forgive me for copying their pizza. If you live in the Kingston area – please go to Woodenheads and enjoy the real McCoy.

The Monet

• Servings: 2 medium sized pizzas
  • 1 lb of pizza dough (or make your own – recipe here)
  • 2 cups HOT pizza sauce (Woodenheads use tomato sauce and a chipotle salsa)
  • 150 grams thinly shaved hot Genoan salami
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 cup basil leaves, washed, dried, and stems removed
  • handful of sliced olives – whatever kind you have on hand

Set oven to 400°F. Grease two round 30cm or 12 inch round pizza pans or pizza stones.

Divide the pizza dough in two and roll out to fit your pizza trays or stones. Divide the sauce between the pizzas and layer with grated mozzarella, salami, crumbled feta, basil, and olives.

Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is cooked and lightly browned.

Monet pizza (2)

• Reply catherinecuisine March 17, 2014 at 11:01 pm

How many calories and saturated fats in this pizza? 😉

• Reply Jennifer Smeltzer March 17, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I will ABSOLUTELY make this one next dinner party…. You are invited!

• Reply love in the kitchen March 17, 2014 at 11:11 pm

YAY! Course I only eat with supermodels (more for me that way). I’ll get the salami from Pasta Genova. xo

• Reply Jessica March 17, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Woodenheads!!!!!! It’s one of the things I miss most about home when I’m in Montreal!

• Reply love in the kitchen March 17, 2014 at 11:31 pm

One of my favourites! Have you ever had the Monet pizza Jess? SO delicious.

• Reply Jessica March 18, 2014 at 5:07 am

No I haven’t had the Monet pizza. I usually stick to the Sicilia pizza because it’s my favourite 🙂

• Reply peakofchic March 18, 2014 at 12:11 am

I love, love your opening! So catchy. I wasn’t sure if you were going to give me a recipe or tell a story and it kept me reading! Great job!

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thanks. I think misleading headlines are kind of a scam but in this case – a fun scam! 😉

• Reply Tasty Eats Ronit Penso March 18, 2014 at 12:21 am

“Real people and real food.” – absolutely agree!
    Great looking pizza. 🙂

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 7:30 am

Thanks Ronit. I must admit – I’m more interested in that pizza than I am in any supermodel! 😉

• Reply Gigi March 18, 2014 at 4:29 am

Looks delicious. Definitely keen to try feta in my pizza next time.

I was out with a bunch of girls and they all ordered water and a small side salad as their main dish. We are no longer friends because I ordered a large salmon pizza plus the same salad as my side dish. While they sipped on water, I had a cocktail. They gave me major skank eyes the whole time…. but that was the most satisfying pizza I had in my life.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

Salmon pizza. I’m in! And I would be right with you – cocktail – pizza – salad. What was for dessert? 😉

• Reply Gigi March 18, 2014 at 9:12 am

Gelato, of course. There’s always room for that.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 10:40 am

Brilliant. Love this answer- made me laugh out loud. You’re perfect!

• Reply March 18, 2014 at 5:41 am

I just loveee pizza 🙂

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 7:26 am

Me too! One of my favourites. I make the dough in my bread machine and away I go. 😉

• Reply apuginthekitchen March 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

Eye catching title, love the pizza and as for the strawberry eating model, well her livelyhood depends on her stick thin physique and its pretty sad that this is who young girls think they should emulate. I’m with you give me real people, real food and people who love food, Balance in life is key. Your pizza is wonderful!

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 8:05 am

It’s really awful that emaciated stick figures are the role models for generations of young women. Makes me crave pizza. (Not being flippant.) Balance IS key – you are spot on.

• Reply Amanda March 18, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Yum. Pizza, the anti supermodel meal. The Economist is great. Very dense, but very on point. I’m all about fitness. I eat like a piggie, but it’s all within reason. It’s about balance.

• Reply love in the kitchen March 18, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Love that Amanda – I also love great food AND exercise daily. My dog helps me with the exercise part! 😉

• Reply laura mechefske March 18, 2014 at 7:22 pm

So worth it to make the fresh dough! I made a pizza last week and it has reignited my love affair with pizza… Plus it’s great when your amazing blog perfectly fills my cravings!! (Happens more often then one would think!)

• Reply tinywhitecottage March 18, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I could never EVER starve myself. Several years ago I did a very intense diet /exercise regime (natural bodybuilding!) for a full year! It was very high protein and zero carbs (less than 100 grams a day) and it was so difficult. I would stop in the bakery section of the market just to smell the bread. I was eating five meals a day, but not having the carbs really took a toll on me. When it was all said and done it took me months to get back to normal eating habits. I would have given anything for one of your pizza’s, that’s for sure! And I would now too…

• Reply Elly March 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Love this – and you. Sorry to miss you today!

• Reply Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs March 19, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Amen, sista-friend!! I’m here, I’m real, and I LOVE food!! 🙂 This is an awesome post… and the pizza? Truly a Monet. A work of art. Truly a delicious work of art. Priceless. 🙂

• Reply Stacey Bender March 20, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Not sure why I am not getting notifications of your posts so I will hit “follow” again. I love how you lead into this post and doubt you will come across anything but real people that like real food here. I can’t imagine ever depriving myself the joy of eating. eating is one of life’s pleasures and gifts all at once.

• Reply Arl's World March 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Amen! Real people and real food, well said. Thanks for the recipe, it looks good.

• Reply flippenblog April 15, 2014 at 1:26 am