I carry your heart with me….

February 13, 2014
Grandmother's sugar cookies

I carry your heart with me ~ e.e. cummings

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart)

i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate,my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)…………

I’m plagiarising from myself here. This was from my Valentine’s Day post last year. But I love both these cookies and ee cumming’s poem so much – that perhaps I’ll post them every year. Because I just don’t tire of either. Ever.

Best Ever Sugar Cookies

recipe from Grandma Mechefske – whose heart I carry with me…

2/3 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tbsp milk (or substitute almond milk for dairy-free)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
dash salt

Beat together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla, egg, and milk and continue beating for one minute. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Chill if you have time and inclination. Otherwise turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll out (not too thin). Cut into shapes and bake at 350 °F for about ten minutes or until just starting to brown. Cool and ice with your favourite icing. (The icing in the hearts above is just icing sugar and a little cream – but you could easily use almond milk instead of cream.)

Makes a couple of dozen, depending on the size of your cookie cutters.

• Reply pepperlrohr February 13, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Those look delicious!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thank you! So many recipes for sugar cookies but I’ve made these over and over and never been disappointed. Grandma M was a wonderful cook who loved the kitchen and it showed. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Reply ohlidia February 13, 2014 at 10:57 pm

And I shall never tire of it either. Ever. I did not know this beautiful poem and I thank you for introducing it to me. Those cookies are the prettiest and how sweet that you carry your Grandma’s heart with you! Happy Day!

• Reply Jennifer Smeltzer February 13, 2014 at 11:36 pm

LOVE these, Lindy!! Love you too!!!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 14, 2014 at 9:17 am

I know it’s truly my dog that you love! But love you too – happy Valentine’s day dear friend. xo

• Reply Green Door Hospitality February 14, 2014 at 8:10 am

I love that poem by e.e. cummings! Very perfect for today 🙂 And the cookies look wonderful! Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Jessica

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 14, 2014 at 9:18 am

Happy Valentine’s Day JESSICA! *say to myself, Jessica, Jessica, Jessica.* ♥ ♥ ♥

• Reply dozendharani February 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

Lindy, with love for today in all ways for ourselves and with all whom we are with, So much heart and beauty in e.e. cummings poem, i have had it post to my bulletin ever since Gerry(misia’s dad) gave this to me the poem years ago with pajamas  saying “until he could keep me warm at night”. hmmm thanks for the edit help, blessings dharani

Dharani Healing Arts Andrée BeauchampCNHP, RH

“Let the beauty we love be what we do.” Rumi

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 14, 2014 at 9:21 am

Such a potent poem, isn’t it?
      Happy Valentine’s Day dharani. See you soon, surely! ♥ ♥ ♥

• Reply apuginthekitchen February 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Happy Valentines Day, I love the cookies but I especially love the poem, it’s touching and beautiful. Thank you for posting.

• Reply jess and kate February 14, 2014 at 10:07 pm

lovely!

• Reply Amanda February 14, 2014 at 10:56 pm

That is so beautiful. Thank you for the poem and for your grandma’s cookies. I do think that we carry the hearts of all those who came before us in our own and share are hearts with those who are still here.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 16, 2014 at 11:23 am

Agree absolutely Amanda- rather lovely to think of carrying the hearts of those we cherish with us forever. Happy belated Valentine’s Day to you. ♥

• Reply Eliza B February 16, 2014 at 9:59 am

That is a wonderful poem. Thank you for posting it, and if you post it every year on Valentine’s day, I will be grateful and happy to read it again.