pressed-crust tart take 2

November 11, 2013
cranberry, pear and plum pressed-crust tart.

Cranberry, Pear, and Plum Pressed-Crust Tart – shown here unbaked

I don’t normally post two days in a row. But yesterday, instead of making Sunday dinner, I was writing a blog post about a pressed-crust pear and plum tart that I’d recently made and loved. By the time I got downstairs to start making dinner I was in a big rush and all I could think of was the tart.

So as soon as I’d put the main course into the oven, I abandoned my plans for making oatmeal date squares and decided to make the tart again – this time version 2.0 since I didn’t have enough plums or pears for the first version.

The thing I love about this, besides the fact that it’s delicious, kind-of-sophisticated and healthy, is that it is so simple. There’s no rolling involved. You simply press the dough into the pan with floured hands. And then you cover it with fruit and pop it in the oven. It’s not overly doughy or overly sweet. Tart. Like the name. It takes ten minutes from the time you start to the time you put it in the oven. Then for the next half hour while it cooks – you can have a glass of wine in front of the fire. At least, that’s what I did.

I liked this version even better than the first. And I liked the first one a lot.

This would be nice for Thanksgiving or Christmas. You can vary the fruit you use – according to what’s in season and what you have on hand. And it’s equally good for dessert at dinner or brunch, or eat the leftovers for breakfast with coffee – I can vouch for how good that is.

Pressed-Crust Cranberry, Pear and Plum Tart

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
2 large ripe pears, washed and sliced, skins on
1 large plum, washed and sliced, skin on
1 cup frozen cranberries
2-3 tbsp Demerara or turbinado sugar (or substitute regular brown sugar)
whipped cream and or Greek yoghurt to garnish

Heat oven to 350 deg F. Butter a large tart tin, a spring-form pan, or a large glass pie plate.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat until well mixed. Gradually add the flour and salt, stirring to combine. The dough will be somewhat soft. Press the dough into the buttered tart tin with floured hands.

Arrange the pear and plum slices in concentric circles on top of the dough. Scatter the cranberries over all. Press gently into the dough but don’t submerge the fruit. Sprinkle with the raw sugar.

Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden. Let cool at least slightly before serving.

Serve with whipped cream and or thick Greek yoghurt.

cranberry, pear, plum pressed-crust tart

• Reply sanjapanja November 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Beautiful!

• Reply Amanda November 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Wow this is stunning.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen November 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Thanks Amanda – it’s SO ridiculously easy. Honestly. And so good for breakfast this morning! 😉

• Reply Ada ~ More Food, Please November 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Looks beautiful! Love the colors the fruits add to the tart 🙂

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen November 11, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks – and I agree. I’ll make this over and over because it just could not be easier. Version 3.0 – apples and blackberries!

• Reply Pacific Merchants November 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I love the simplicity of this. I’m absolutely adding this to my already over-the-top thanksgiving lineup.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen November 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I love the sound of an over-the-top Thanksgiving lineup. Good for you – what could be more important? Early happy Thanksgiving to you!

• Reply apuginthekitchen November 11, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Beautiful, I love press in crusts. So easy!

• Reply tinywhitecottage November 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Oh! I love this one too. Ok. Looks like I will be making two, yesterday’s and today’s. I think today’s I will make for Thanksgiving. It is beautiful Lindy and I like the way you operate. A glass of wine in front of the fireplace while it is baking.

• Reply Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs November 11, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Absolutely beautiful. Love this… I think I need to make this one for Thanksgiving… <3

• Reply Maria Dernikos November 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm

The colours are fan-tas-tic!

• Reply DanS@MyEasyChineseRecipes.com November 12, 2013 at 2:14 pm

This Pie looks amazing!

• Reply Tonette Joyce November 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Lindy, this is so beautiful!!!!

• Reply Tuscan olive grove girl November 15, 2013 at 6:10 am

Wow! Stunning!

• Reply Karen November 23, 2013 at 10:25 am

What a pretty tart to present to guests at the Thanksgiving table.

• Reply dedy oktavianus pardede November 24, 2013 at 8:39 pm

wow, finger licking good dessert…
    the fresh fruits made me not feeling guilty to eat that!

• Reply a little Carl Jung and a cranberry, apple, and almond tart | love in the kitchen ♥ February 27, 2015 at 2:26 pm

[…] version is vegan. Use the fruit you have on hand. I’ve made countless variations (see here and here). You could also drizzle some melted dark (or white) chocolate across the top of this for […]