metabolising disappointment – and some rosemary sea salt

July 28, 2013

027

A couple of years ago, I was interviewing an author for a magazine article when I asked him how he felt about being passed over for literary awards. It was a fair question and one my editor had suggested I ask. But it was also a tough question. Awards are so controversial. A bit of a popularity contest with strange rules and sometimes strange juries. And often with strange results. Of course, I already knew that he must have felt awful. But that’s not what he said. What he did say, stuck with me:

“Over the years I’ve learned to metabolise disappointment faster.”

Those words came back to me recently as I thought about whether or not I’ve learned to metabolise life’s disappointments any faster. I suppose the truth is that I have. Or at least, I’m trying to get past the losses and failures and heart-breaks more quickly.  I still feel things just as intensely, I’m just a little more used to the rhythm of ups and downs that life keeps offering up. Losses and failures and then moments of glory and joy. Once when I was going through an especially good patch, a close friend warned me, “there will be potholes ahead.” It made me laugh. But it’s so true. There will be potholes ahead…

Faced with potholes, I generally head in one of two places – outside for some rigorous physical activity (lately it’s been cycling) or into my kitchen for a little kitchen therapy.

Here’s the latest kitchen project – flavoured sea salt. You can use a variety of different flavourings – chipotle and lime, rosemary and thyme, lemon and lime, etc. Make your flavoured salt after cooking something else – using the residual heat of the oven to dry the ingredients out, so that you can store the salts. You can use these salts in any savoury dish – think roasted vegetables, focaccia, pizza bianca…

Rosemary Sea Salt

1/2 cup coarsely ground sea salt
2-3 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 tsp grated lemon rind

Mix the ingredients and spread out onto a baking sheet. After you’ve finished using your oven for something else, turn the oven off and immediately place the baking tray with salt into the oven. Leave it alone without opening the door several hours or overnight before removing. If you didn’t chop your rosemary leaves finely enough previously – you can pulse gently in the food processor before storing.

Another version….

Chipotle Lime Sea Salt

1/2 cup coarsely ground sea salt
1/2 tsp chipotle powder (more if you can stand it)
1 tsp grated lime rind

Mix and spread onto baking sheet. Dry as above.

• Reply apuginthekitchen July 28, 2013 at 9:55 am

Metabolize disappointment, I love that. Life as wonderful as it is can be so full of ups and downs. I am going to remember that. Also, going to make your flavored salt today, it will be perfect with a recipe I am making Tuesday!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen July 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

I agree – but I guess if we think and feel – that’s the only way it’s going to be!
      I love that you have your Tuesday cooking planned already. Adorable! 😉

• Reply Jennifer Smeltzer July 28, 2013 at 10:05 am

Another wonderful post…. the recipe, and of course the delivery. Metabolize disappointment….might hafta use that one.

• Reply Mary July 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

The saline version of “when life gives you lemons.” Love it!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen July 28, 2013 at 10:15 am

That’s so good!! It is the saline version – you’re right. I was going around yesterday thinking – when life gives you lemonade… have a gin and lemonade! 😉

• Reply hearthomemade July 28, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’ve never thought to make my own flavored sea salt. What an awesome idea!

• Reply tinywhitecottage July 28, 2013 at 11:38 am

What a profound post. Every bit of it. I will remember his quote forever now, just like you. Your flavored salt is brilliant! We have this little store here in Seattle called “Sugar Pill’. It is an apothecary / mercantile shop which sells salts (among other things) that are infused with lime, alder smoke, celery seed, truffle and other distinct flavors, and sugars too flavored with lime, habanero, pomegranate and so on…they are packaged and sold in little these really cool little tins. A friend of mine brought oven a dozen or so tins to try out. Maybe something like this could be in your future? 🙂

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen July 28, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thank you! You are just so wonderful! Really. I know I’d love to follow you around Seattle for a couple of days! Maybe one day… 😉

• Reply Fae's Twist & Tango July 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

For some reason, rosemary doesn’t taste good to my palate and once I voiced it, I found out that there are many people like me. I don’t know why I shared this… but I wanted to say, thanks for the idea, because I am sure this recipe can be used with other wonderful available herbs. 😀

• Reply gotasté July 29, 2013 at 1:15 am

Not sure if I am getting there yet…success and recognitions seems to pass by more quickly than metabolising disappointment, failure and sadness…just like flavoured sea salt, it is too hard to achieve over here with a 99% humidity in the air…what a lovely post Lindy. I like it a lot.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen July 29, 2013 at 8:39 am

Danny – 99% humidity is challenging. I remember stepping off the plane in Fiji once and walking into air that felt like thick, hot soup. And yes, the sadnesses, disappointment, failures, and heartbreaks of life catch up with us all at times. They seem to have a cumulative effect. I think it is so important to focus on the things that make you happy. Like your beautiful food and photography and your wonderful blog and your ability to make other people happy! 😉

• Reply Baking With Gab July 29, 2013 at 2:13 am

Beautiful words – isn’t it funny how food and feelings go so well together?

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen July 29, 2013 at 8:41 am

So true. That haunting metaphoric hunger….
      And thank you for commenting here. Loving your blog! 😉

• Reply Eliza B July 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Ahh sounds so tasty on some focaccia with some wine…

• Reply Green Door Hospitality August 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Great sea salt recipes. And I love this concept of metabolising disappointment! Really good words to live by!
    Kenley

• Reply mrewilson August 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Get your badge here

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen August 5, 2013 at 12:34 am

Thank you – that’s so kind of you. Loved your last post – am besotted with your two Siamese cats. Gorgeous!

• Reply Thankful! And a few caramelized pears, squash, and red onions | a taste of wintergreen October 11, 2013 at 8:49 am

[…] into eighths 1 tablespoon olive oil (or grapeseed or avocado oil…) 1 tsp sea salt (I used rosemary sea salt) black […]