a kale, sausage, and feta frittata

April 2, 2013

009I’m off to the south of France where I’m going to spend a couple of weeks locked up in an old barn. Writing.

On the eve of my departure – with approximately eleven-hundred-and-seventy-nine thousand things to do before I go – including such details as beginning and finishing packing, finding my travel documents, printing out my boarding passes, finding my train tickets to Montreal, charging all my electronics, paying bills, making food for the ones I am leaving behind, calling my mum, and making all of the last-minute arrangements – it seems like a perfect  time to write a blog post.

At least this is a somewhat French blog post. Therefore relevant.

I’m a huge fan of David Lebovitz and his blog – Living the Sweet Life in Paris.  I love his food choices, his beautiful enticing photographs, and his writing style – clear and uncomplicated and lovely –  like his food.

A couple of weeks ago he posted a recipe for a kale frittata. I love kale and I really like frittatas.  So I bought the ingredients and I made the dish tonight. I never cook anything according to the original recipe so this below is my adaptation based on his recipe. It was SO good – incredibly tasty – quick and very satisfying.  A recipe I’ll make over and over.

In fact, I might just make it in France. In the meantime, here’s my version of David Lebovitz’s kale frittata. Perfect with a beautiful glass of French white.

Farewell Canada. À bientôt France!

Spicy Sausage, Kale and Feta Frittata

5 large eggs

1-2 tbsp olive oil

1/2 small onion, finely diced

1 head of kale, washed and chopped (this resulted in about one cup or maybe slightly more of cooked kale)

1 spicy Italian sausage, casing removed, crumbled and pan-fried

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

ground black pepper to taste

Sauté the onion and kale in the olive oil until the onion is browned and kale is tender. Add the cooked, crumbled sausage.

Beat the eggs with a whisk. Add some ground black pepper. Pour the eggs over the onion, kale and sausage mixture and prod to distribute the egg mixture evenly. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta. Cook until the bottom of the frittata is nicely browned. Then you must either flip the frittata or finish the dish in the oven so that the top is cooked.  With only a small amount of trauma (and some help) I flipped mine. Here it is – flipped – in my very shiny stainless pan.

002Serve it hot, warm, or cold. Serves four for lunch with a side dish or two hungry customers for dinner.

• Reply Food and Forage Hebrides April 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Lovely recipe, yes, I am a huge David Leibovitz fan too, his blog is great! Hope you get everything done before your departure. Enjoy France, I hope you find space to think creatively 🙂 Tracey

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen April 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Ah Tracey – thank you! Keep writing about the lambs out your window. I’m living the Hebridean life vicariously. Lindy

• Reply An Embarrassment of Freedom April 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm

This also would make a great quiche type of meal i think.
    Have a wonderful trip and write, write , write!

• Reply Ruth Wood April 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I always knew you were amazing, but sending out a blog post before heading off to France! Honestly, I am a slug by comparison. I love kale so I am going to “clip” this one out and give it a go. Having gone over to the Veg. side I have to find an alternative for the sausage. I will let you know how I make out.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen April 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm

you won’t miss the sausage Ruth! 😉 there’s only one sausage in this entire frittata – so a relatively minor ingredient. xox

• Reply Tonette Joyce April 2, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Green with envy here! Have a great and safe time!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen April 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Thanks Tonette. I’ll be glad when I’m there – am a big wuss about flying! xo

• Reply Eliza B April 2, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I adore David Lebovitz’ blog as well and have been meaning to try this out. Now I know it will be wonderful! Have a great time in France. Its an incredible country. Eat lots of cheese and drink lots of wine. That should inspire lots of creativity.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen April 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Oh you are so right – 2 parts wine, 1 part cheese = a recipe for for creativity!! 😉

• Reply Green Door Hospitality April 3, 2013 at 8:22 am

Oh this sounds fantastic!! Going to pin and make very soon.
    Kenley

• Reply Jennifer Smeltzer April 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

This will be perfect for brunch with my girls, who love eggs. Cannot wait to try it!! Enjoy France!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen April 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

wi-fi on Via Rail keeps cutting out – so I’ve replied about five times and about to give up. Just wanted to say thank you Jennifer – I bet you’ll try it with chorizo which would be amazing. 😉

• Reply gotasté April 3, 2013 at 9:20 am

Really looking forward to your posts about southern France. And please include lots of pictures. 🙂

• Reply Fae's Twist & Tango April 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I love eggs and frittatas are always welcome. This one really sounds yummy. Have a great productive time in France. Looking forward to hearing the report!!! 😀 Fae.

• Reply bentodays April 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Looks really good, thanks for sharing the recipe.