a fitting St. Patrick’s Day feast – beef and Guinness Stew

March 14, 2013

Photograph from Smithsonian.com

The following is my March 2013 Fresh Perspective column from Kingston This Week

When I was a little girl living in the North of England, we didn’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The conflict in Northern Ireland was just a little too close to home at that time.

It wasn’t until I arrived in Canada that I even heard of Saint Patrick. For several years, I was the only child in my class not dressed in green to mark the day. By the time I’d gone through a few St. Patrick’s Days – I left home dressed in my usual clothes – but arrived at school wearing a friend’s green T-shirt and sporting a huge green satin Christmas ribbon in my long, blonde ponytail. I took it all off before I returned home. My Irish propensities went right back into the closet.

In high school, I learned about Oliver Cromwell and the Irish Potato Famine, and the Irish revolts against the often brutal British rule of Ireland. I heard my English father arguing with George, his closest friend, an Irishman, about the rights and wrongs on both sides.

I loved my Irish “Uncle” George – with his mop of ginger hair, his freckles, and his fiercely bright eyes. He came for dinner regularly, always bringing me chocolate and calling me Little-Flower. I loved his beautiful lilting Irish accent, his ability to eat potatoes like no one else I’d ever seen, and the way he took 16 teaspoons of sugar in his strong, black tea, counting them all out loud before stirring his tea vigorously and then slurping it down piping hot, sighing aloud with each swallow.

Somewhere along the way, I learned about the 1916 uprising that led to the formation of the Republic of Ireland in the south of the island, while the six counties of Northern Ireland remained part of the United Kingdom. From the 1960s through the 1990s it was these six counties in the North where the often violent conflict played out primarily between the Protestant loyalists and the Catholic unionists.

Thankfully for all, in 1998, a peace agreement was signed by the opposing factions in Northern Ireland and things have been largely stable since then.  Saint Patrick, who was credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland in the 4th Century, must be resting a little easier these days.

St. Patrick’s Day was made an official feast day in the seventeenth century. The date marks the anniversary of the death of St. Patrick on 17 March, 461, and was established to commemorate the arrival of Christianity in Ireland.

St. Patrick, who was born in Britain (not Ireland) is said to have taught the Pagan Irish population about the Christian Holy Trinity using the traditional shamrock – hence the prevalence of green and shamrocks to mark the day. But those early origins have been mostly lost and St. Patrick’s Day has become a worldwide celebration of Irishness and Irish culture – usually marked with a lot of revelry and excess alcohol consumption.

The truth is – a feast – and not green beer, is actually the traditional way of marking the day.

My Uncle George would have loved this rich Irish stew with its Guinness gravy. He would have eaten it over a mountain of well-buttered, mashed potatoes or Colcannon – potatoes mashed with either kale or fried cabbage. The he might have had “just a wee slice of dessert” while he drank his scalding, sugar-saturated tea and passionately defended the Irish to my father.

My Uncle George died young and my father followed not many years after. This year, I’m honouring the memory of them with a Saint Patrick’s Day feast which they both would have loved.

Irish or not – Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Irish Stew

Beef and Guinness Stew

(adapted from a recipe begged from my dear (former) neighbour, Susan Tyerman)

3 tbsp olive oil

3-4 lbs stewing beef cut in large cubes (I usually cut a large roast into 2 inch cubes)

2 large onions, diced

2 cloves garlic, mashed

3-4 tbsp all-purpose flour

1 440ml can Guinness

2 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tbsp fresh, chopped thyme)

¾ tsp salt

2-3 bay leaves

Black pepper

½ cup beef stock (if necessary)

Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the beef until nicely browned. Transfer beef to a stew pot. In the same skillet, fry together the onion and garlic, adding a little more oil if required. Sprinkle the onions with flour and stir to distribute. Add in the beer and spices. Add to the stew pot. Simmer gently for about 3 hours on top of the stove. If the stew starts to get dry, add ½ cup of beef stock and reduce heat slightly. Can also be cooked in the oven at 300°F for three hours (check at two hours and add stock if needed), or in a Crockpot for about 6-8 hours on low – in which case you will not likely need any stock.

Remove bay leaves. Check the stew before serving. If it needs thickening – use a tablespoon or two of flour mixed with ¼ cup water and stir briskly into the hot stew.

Serve over a bed of garlic mashed potatoes or Colcannon, with a simple vegetable dish like buttered carrots and peas, or green beans sautéed with garlic and lemon.

• Reply apuginthekitchen March 14, 2013 at 11:14 pm

What a lovely post, and a beautiful dish to commemorate your Uncle and Father. I love the stew, the guinness makes it rich and so delicious and piled on a mound of creamy buttery potatoes is my idea of a great meal. Very nice and Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 15, 2013 at 7:47 am

Thank you so much – you are so sweet. Yes – I miss my uncle and my father but it is lovely to have the memories.
      Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you too!!

• Reply Maria Dernikos March 15, 2013 at 9:48 am

Guinness and Beef are so made for each other. Now I know why Yorkshire Teacakes have a special place. I loved your post and your link to this recipe.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 15, 2013 at 10:00 am

Yes Maria – Yorkshire is still home in my heart – even though it was a very long time ago that I left there. Those formative years have such a pull…
      Thank you for your lovely comment!
      Happy St. Patrick’s Day. Lindy

• Reply Maria Dernikos March 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

Happy St Patrick’s Day to you too! I have since reading your post been thinking of the 16 sugars. I like sugar but I think that even for me its a step too far! but that is what in part makes your Uncle George special.

• Reply Eliza B March 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This looks so much more appetizing than green beer. It even seems more festive. Along with that Baileys cheesecake you posted about recently. Perfect Irish celebration dishes (although I personally can claim no Irish heritage).

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Hi Eliza – yes – you are so right! Green beer is rather disgusting. I can claim no Irish heritage either but I’ve got a very soft spot in my heart for Ireland….

• Reply bentodays March 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm

This is such a classic dish which I love to eat but have not tried making. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Reply johnnysenough hepburn March 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm

– Is it odd of me as I’m not posting a St. Patrick’s Day dish? After all, I did grow up in N. Ireland!
    – Do wish you well for the big day.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 15, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Do you still have your Irish accent Johnny? I hope so! Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you. Slainte…

• Reply Karen March 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed your interesting post of how you grew up without celebrating St. Patrick’s Day because of the violence in Ireland. I think it is so nice to have posted a recipe to honor your uncle and father.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm

thank you Karen! Just looked at your beef and guinness pie. I always make a pie with my leftover stew!

• Reply Karen March 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm

It is the perfect way to use the leftover stew. Thank you for stopping by my blog and your nice comments. I’m looking forward to visiting you on a regular basis.

• Reply petit4chocolatier March 15, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!! This looks great 🙂

• Reply gotasté March 16, 2013 at 12:49 am

This looks fantastic and mouth watering! I so wanna try out a Guinness stew. Your recipe cam in time. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 17, 2013 at 8:25 pm

So nice of you – thank you. Something about beef and Guinness – such a great combination even though I confess – I don’t actually like beer (let alone Guinness…) but I DO like this stew! Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

• Reply chef mimi March 18, 2013 at 9:48 am

Great post! I just wish I liked Guinness…..

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 18, 2013 at 10:10 am

Thank you!!
      I’m not a fan of Guinness either – or of beer in general. But I do like this stew – somehow it makes an amazing gravy and perfect beef tenderizer. Probably the best use of Guinness as far as I am concerned!

• Reply Samantha March 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I love stew and this is a lovely recipe – it reminds me of how sometimes the best food is the most simple. Have you tried coddle? I’m going to make some this weekend and post about it!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen March 21, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I have not tried coddle – that’s the Irish dish with ham, sausage, stout and vegetables in it? What a good idea. Looking forward to seeing what your post!

I'd love to hear from you...