a little guilt and a lot of cranberry almond & rosemary crisps

February 27, 2013

I have a confession to make – lately I’ve been making these wonderful Cranberry, Almond and Rosemary Crisps.

I feel guilty because they are a clone of Lesley Stowe’s fabulous Raincoast Crisps. So it really is with the gravest of apologies to Lesley Stowe, whose wonderful foodie products I love, that I’m posting this recipe for a dairy-free (vegan) version of her famous crisps.

I’m always adapting recipes to make them user-friendly for one of my daughters who has a serious dairy allergy. The real Raincoast Crisps have buttermilk in them and that just won’t work for my daughter. These Cranberry Almond and Rosemary Crisps are made with almond milk. Incredibly, they look and taste almost identical to the real McCoy.

I happened across a recipe online ages ago at the bountyhunter.ca and saved it. Subsequently the website seems to be down. I took the original recipe from this site and adjusted it to make it dairy-free.

The crisps are perfect served with Citrus, Fig and Olive TapenadeIf you’re not dairy-free – you could also try them with a soft cheese such as chèvre or melted brie or a herbed cream cheese like Boursin. Really any good cheese will work and perhaps add some red pepper jelly. They pair well with savoury and make a great appetizer – perfect with cocktails before dinner. You can make them in advance and store them in a tin – where they will stay fresh for a couple of weeks.

And if you’re feeling as guilty as I am – you can skip making these and just buy them. Find them at http://lesleystowe.com/

Cranberry Almond and Rosemary Crisps

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice plus almond milk to make 2 cups in total

1/4 cup turbinado (or brown) sugar

1/4 cup liquid honey

1 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup natural, sliced almonds

1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds

1/4 cup ground flax seed

1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped

Preheat oven to 375°F

Mix together the flours, baking soda and salt. Add the lemon juice & almond milk mixture (if you’re not dairy-free go ahead and use regular milk in place of almond), turbinado sugar and honey. Stir gently. Add dried cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax and rosemary – and stir again, gently – you don’t need to over mix.

Lightly grease 4 mini loaf pans (or two large pans if you don’t have the mini ones). Divide the batter between the pans evenly. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until just browning and springy to touch. Remove from oven and let cool thoroughly, preferably overnight, and even better yet – refrigerated overnight.

When the bread is completely cooled, slice as thinly as possible with a sharp knife. Lay the slices on a baking sheet. Bake at 300°F for about 15 minutes, before flipping the slices over and returning to the oven for another 10 minutes. They should be golden brown and crispy.

When cool – store in an airtight tin. Make approx 6-7 dozen.raincoast crisps (2)

• Reply Food and Forage Hebrides February 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm

These sound great, novel to me, and the complementary tapenade recipe is delightful. I’m going to give these a try – anything with rosemary is a winner for me 🙂 Thanks.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm

So glad Tracey – Raincoast Crisps are a big hit in Canada – a small Vancouver (hence the rain-coast) company. xx

• Reply Darya February 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm

They sound fantastic! What a delightful combination of flavors

• Reply Maria Dernikos February 27, 2013 at 3:00 pm

These are the ones photographed with your lentil soup? I was waiting eagerly for the recipe, so glad I didn’t have to wait long!! Shall be trying these asap, they look really delicious.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 27, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Oh Maria – you are so sweet!
      Yes – these are the ones photographed with the lentil soup.

• Reply laura mechefske February 27, 2013 at 3:56 pm

OMG. Yum.

That’s all I have to say. Thanks a million Mum.

• Reply johnnysenough hepburn February 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Do love the sound of these. I’ve been meaning to bake a Roman inspired sort of bread with lots of nuts and fruit. I was also going to go this route, as in slicing thinly and drying those out as I’d end up chucking half in the bin. Slight prob – still haven’t found gram flour.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 27, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Thanks Johnny! this is odd – I did reply but the reply has disappeared! Does the Roman inspired bread require gram flour – if so – make these – they use wheat flour. 😉

• Reply apuginthekitchen February 27, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Wow, do these sound great!! I love that they are dairy free, they are loaded with lots of good and healthful ingredients. Rosemary is a fantastic addition. You created a great recipe, I love it!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 27, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thanks Suzanne – although I cannot really claim credit. Lesley Stowe invented them (at least I presume she did). The BountyHunter.ca posted a version -and i merely adapted. But I tell you what – they are AMAZING! xx Lindy

• Reply beverleyanderson February 28, 2013 at 10:25 am

The recipe looks great….thanks for sharing! Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:41:54 +0000 To: beverleyanderson@sympatico.ca

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

Lovely to see you again Beverley – it’s so funny – i walked along the St. Lawrence this morning and for some reason – you crossed my mind. I was thinking the ice would be breaking up on the rivers and lakes soon. Cedar Island was shrouded in mist and I heard the first foghorn from the ferry. Spring cannot be far away….

• Reply bentodays February 28, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Looks great, thanks for sharing the recipe! I will be trying this one of these weekends!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen February 28, 2013 at 9:35 pm

how sweet – and wouldn’t they look nice in one of your bento boxes!

• Reply Tonette Joyce February 28, 2013 at 11:12 pm

OH, YUM!

• Reply petit4chocolatier March 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Looks delicious!

• Reply gotasté March 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

These looks so good. I can finish a big bag.

• Reply chef mimi March 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm

These really look amazing, and can be used in so many way!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!