cranberry and apple galette

January 14, 2013

011A Virulent Virus and a Beautiful, Rustic Apple and Cranberry Galette

During the holidays almost everyone I know came down with a virus. I managed to escape relatively unscathed (touch wood). Alas my computer did not fare so well. This past weekend – it succumbed to the “System Progressive Protection” virus – and has been crashed ever since.

WARNING – if you see this nasty virus pop up on your computer – it is making the rounds. It pretends to be a legitimate security program telling you that your computer is infected with spyware but in fact, it is the spyware. It’s a scam selling fake antiviral protection while apparently stealing your financial information.

Fortunately, I’d seen something about it and suspected it was a virus. But it actually shut my computer down entirely and it’s now gone off to the computer doctor for some sort of surgery because despite a day and a bit of attempting to download the measures meant to rectify things – I cannot actually get rid of the nasty virus.

Functioning in a computer-less world is a huge headache!! I’m writing this post from a borrowed (virus-free) computer.

Just before the crash – I made this lovely four-ingredient, incredibly simple, apple and cranberry galette. A friend had sent me a blog link for a cranberry galette that got me thinking. I wanted to do one with apples – and some leftover frozen cranberries.  This is a much simplified version of a Williams and Sonoma recipe. I always make my own pastry in a big batch and freeze it in individual single-crust pie portions. You could use any good buttery, flaky pastry recipe or frozen puff pastry. And if you want my no-fail pastry recipe – I’d be happy to post that too. In the meantime – since I’m on borrowed computer time – here quickly, is the recipe for this simple, elegant galette.

Apple and cranberry galette

pastry for one large single pie crust
1 1/2 cups of frozen cranberries, rinsed
6 large apples – I used MacIntosh, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
1/2 cup natural raw pure cane sugar (sometimes called Demerara or turbinado sugar)

Roll out the pastry into an approximate circle – slightly larger than a regular pie crust. Place the pastry on a lightly greased cookie sheet or into a large glass pie plate. (If using a pie plate – the pastry should overlap the edge by an inch or two.)

Scatter the pastry with the sliced apples and cranberries. Sprinkle with the cane sugar. Fold the edges of the pastry over the so that there is a one or two-inch crust around the top.

Bake at 350 degrees until the pastry is browned and the apples are soft. This took about an hour in my oven but will vary according to the type of apples you use.
Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.

• Reply fionaward January 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

This is exactly what I could eat right now, looking out at the snow from my office window! And simple too. Thank you.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

How lovely Fiona – thank you! And enjoy your snow!! We had feet of it here and it just disappeared but winter is far from over in eastern Ontario. As soon as I have my rightful computer back – I’m looking forward to reading more of you!

• Reply apuginthekitchen January 14, 2013 at 9:59 am

Very happy you (knock on wood) escaped the flu virus and so sorry your computer didn’t. It’s happened to me before and I feel your pain. You are so right about computers being a headache, it’s a shame we have come to depend on them almost entirely.
    Your galette is gorgeous and the combination of apples and cranberry is IMHO one of the most delicious, they go hand in hand and I love to throw cranberries in apple pie or make a apple cranberry compote, I even throw into baked apples. Beautiful and delicious.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 14, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thank you so much for your kind comments and empathy! Will be so happy to have my lovely shiny red computer back and will be more devout about using my antivirus!

• Reply Food and Forage Hebrides January 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

This look very pretty. I wish I had not used my last batch of cranberries for jam! BTW, I succumed to flu (no computer issues though) over Christmas, it is ubiquitous, Tracey

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 14, 2013 at 4:48 pm

There will be cranberries to come I am sure Tracey! Do they grow in the Hebrides?

Hope you are fully recuperated from your bout with the flu. And am hoping my computer virus is the only virus in my life for now. Run your anti-viral software!

• Reply Food and Forage Hebrides January 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I think potentially, although admit, I have only tried blueberries, rasps and strawberries so far. The soil would suit them, for sure. Here’s to your health, mine is grand now too! Thanks, Tracey

• Reply Teresa January 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm

This looks amazing.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 15, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Teresa! It’s so simple and so tasty – I love those 4 ingredient recipes!

• Reply Tonette Joyce January 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

This looks lovely! I had gotten so very backed-up (and bogged-down) in emails and blog notification I missed a lot, but glad I saw this! Lovely.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 16, 2013 at 10:37 am

Oh Tonette – you are so sweet. Thanks!
      Completely understand getting backed-up and bogged-down in work and emails. I just get caught up and then it begins again…..

• Reply Elly January 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

Looks so yummy! I love cranberries so much. I bet this is delish!

• Reply Elly January 16, 2013 at 3:18 pm

PS – I like the two “making of” pictures! 🙂

• Reply cakewhiz January 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

sometimes, the best recipes are the simplest ones! this apple galette looks so rustic and comforting 🙂

sorry to hear about the virus damaging your computer 🙁

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thank you – my computer is back from surgery – so far so good! Your blog is wonderful. Incredible looking cakes. WOW!

• Reply petit4chocolatier January 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm