a recipe for owls

December 9, 2012

owls

I’ve got a thing for owls that started long before owls got to be quite so trendy. Real owls keep cropping up at every critical juncture in my life. They appear on rooftops, on chimneys, and high up in an ancient oak at the park on the end of my street. When I lived in Brisbane, a whole family of Tawny Frogmouth owls lived for months in a tree on my walking route and I saw them daily. Eventually they flew away – one by one. I watched for them for months afterwards to no avail and then I flew away too – back to Canada.

In my new neighbourhood a large barred owl keeps making an appearance. One night when I was out running it swooped down from the crest of a roof and flew directly over my head – mere feet above me – so close I could feel the whoosh of air with its almost silent wing beat. Sometimes months pass before it reappears. For several nights last winter it sat in a tall tree on the river edge – calling patiently to an owl who answered from the distance but never appeared.

At the end of this past summer I went canoeing in Killarney Provincial Park in Northern Ontario. I spent the night before the trip alone in a waterside cabin on the Spanish River where I listened first to the haunting lullaby of loons on the river and then as the loons went silent – an owl, very close by, started hooting and called until I finally fell asleep – sometime well into the middle of the night. I didn’t want that incredibly beautiful night to end.

For the past couple of years, I’ve made these felt owls and hung them on a twig tree. Originally I made them for Christmas but when the holidays ended I just couldn’t pack them up. So I left them out and made various seasonal owls throughout the year – red ones for Valentine’s day, purple ones for Easter, orange and black ones for Hallowe’en. And as fast as I make them – I give them away. This year I’m making serious black owls.

When my daughter texted me from Quebec City the other day – she asked me what I was doing. “Owling,” I replied – I’m a one word texter because I’m really bad at it. “I wish I was owling,” she answered. I had a million other things I should have been doing but somehow the owls had taken precedence over everything – even deadlines.

So here, in case you love owls as much as I do, is my recipe for owls. Happy owling!

Felt Owls

felt

embroidery floss

buttons for eyes

fiberfill stuffing

Cut two owls as per pattern below. Dimensions are roughly 2 1/2 inches across by 3 1/4 inches tall. Using a large needle and embroidery floss, stitch the eyes onto one of the owl pieces, and then add the beak and feathers. Blanket stitch the two pieces of felt together – until you have about an inch left un-stitched – then stuff lightly and continue stitching. Using the same embroidery floss, make a loop for the top.

Image (2)

• Reply Hungry guy December 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

Who? Who? Who?

• Reply Hungry guy December 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

What a hoot!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen December 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Quite a hoot. Watch for owls coming your way soon.

• Reply Hungry guy December 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

There’s not much meat on an owl. They are boney!

• Reply Ellen December 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

I have one of Lindy’s owls, and they are a lovely Christmas ornament. It looks very wise, even though its eyes are green buttons.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen December 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

That particular owl just happened to be one of my favourites – I’m glad he’s in good hands! xo

• Reply Susan Tyerman December 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Tyerman.jpgSusan Tyerman

Sales Representative

Sutton Group-Masters Realty Inc

1650 Bath Rd

Kingston, ON K7M 4X6

Cell: (613) 329-1077

• Reply susan tyerman December 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

i think that is a wise old owl idea…….not to forget relaxing!

Thank you!

susan

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen December 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Tis a wise idea – owling. I’ll make sure you get one this Christmas. xo

• Reply Jennifer Smeltzer December 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I think this recipe is my fave thus far…. LOVE my Lindy owl, I look at it everyday and I smile…..

• Reply Tonette Joyce December 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm

These are darling;my husband has a real ‘thing’ for owls…we have all sorts of them in brass, ceramic, pictures,(a lamp), you name it.We, too, watched an owl family,(Great Horned) where we lived before here,(In Colorado). Also,once we were way up in the mountains and a heard a soft whoosh beside my head.It was a Snowy owl.It has come to swoop in on ground squirrels I was feeding; it had not seen me until it was on me.The owl was way out of its usual territory, but I heard reports that others had also seen it, or another, at in the same area.
    I haven’t seen one here, but I stepped outside about 2 months ago and heard a distinct “WHOO!” in a tree right next to my driveway.I’m keeping my eye out!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen December 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Oh my – I just love this! That whoosh is incredible isn’t it? Something you never forget. I feel a great infusion of happiness and awe whenever I see or hear an owl – magical beautiful creatures.

• Reply An Embarrassment of Freedom December 11, 2012 at 12:03 am

I think your little owls are very sweet on their twig tree. i also love owls,,,must be a teacher thing. I’ve written some owl stories on my blog…allegories? satirical?….they are about Wizzy the Owl. (Wizzy’s Big Adventure, Wisdom For Wizzy, Judge Wizzy etc.)

• Reply An Embarrassment of Freedom December 11, 2012 at 12:06 am

check out my Wizzy the Owl stories on my blog sometime!

• Reply Elly December 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

So cute – love these owls! XOXO

• Reply Marisa - PictureRealFood January 15, 2013 at 12:41 am

We live in the Mojave Desert but have about 100 trees on our property, so it seems that all the owls in the area live roost in our trees. When my grandmother was alive and living with us, our favorite time of day was the evening when we’d sit on the porch and watch the 10 or so owls fly and dive against the light of the sunset. Simple and spectacular.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen January 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

WOW – now I really want to visit the Mojave Desert. I don’t think there would be anything more magical than watching ten owls flying and diving against the sunset. Amazing!!

I'd love to hear from you...