suburban farmer: autumn fruit chutney

October 6, 2012

A few years back we planted a couple of fruit trees: apple, pear, and cherry.

The first year we watched as the birds ate every last cherry. Meanwhile one pear and three small apples ripened nicely. Suddenly a big wind blew up and half the crop (of four) fell to the ground. The following year the results were much the same. The cherries never even ripened before they went missing. Some kind of wild animal (raccoon?) took random bites of various fruits before dismissing them all.

This year, several years on, all of the trees were covered in spring blossom. Things looked promising. “It takes a while before they bear any significant amount of fruit,” we said, nodding, knowing nothing. The cherry tree was laden with tiny, unripe cherries. A multitude of small apples were forming, and possibly seven pears made an appearance.

“Perhaps we should cover the cherry tree with netting?” I suggested. We went out to look. The cherries were gone. Stripped bare – every last one. Then the apple tree (supposedly capable of producing four different varieties thanks to the miracles of grafting) lost all its leaves. The pear tree struggled on.

A week or two back we hauled in the harvest. Eleven small apples – all the same indistinguishable variety, and six small crabby looking pears. By the time I cut off the nasty patches – I had the equivalent of about a dozen fruit. We paid $300 for the trees.  I think we’re up to a grand total harvest over the years of 20 apples and pears (combined). That’s $15 a fruit. The apple tree needs some sort of medicine to cure whatever ails it – if it’s curable. And I need to buy netting for the cherry tree. So if I average those costs in – the price per fruit will have to go up.

Even on this micro scale I’m gaining respect for farmers. Even more respect.

Luckily the blossom in springtime is priceless.

I made my lovely, tart apples and gnarly pears into a fall fruit chutney so I could think about my suburban orchard all winter long. I ad-libbed this recipe based on an old one my mother used to make. An English recipe.

This chutney would be perfect with a ploughman’s lunch, ham and cheese sandwiches, or a curry. I served it this Canadian Thanksgiving weekend – for Saturday lunch as part of a do-it-yourself sandwich buffet  – olive and rosemary sour-dough, rosemary ham, hot Genoa salami, a selection of cheeses, garden tomatoes, and organic greens.

Fall Fruit Chutney

4.5 cups peeled, chopped pears and cooking apples

1 cup chopped cooking dates

1 large onion, finely diced

1.5  cups of apple cider vinegar

2 cups brown sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp hot chilli powder

Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring the mixture slowly to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring frequently for about 30 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat and spoon into sterilized mason jars. So long as the seals work properly – you should be able to store this for a couple of months in a cool, dark place. Otherwise, refrigerate it.

• Reply An Embarrassment of Freedom October 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I like the use of dates…it would be lovely and sweet.
    have you “severely pruned back” your fruit trees?/ my dad used to prune our small farm orchard late winter i believe (almost spring but still icy)…look into that as a way to improve the harvest…

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen October 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

No I haven’t done that – but it’s so good of you to share your knowledge. Thank you!~ It’s definitely time for some more attention to the trees. Perhaps even time for a little research. A little more challenging than growing herbs, tomatoes, and garlic!

• Reply petit4chocolatier October 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I am glad you had a nice blossom! Everything looks so good!

• Reply andree October 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

i will surely try this recipe Lindy, Happy Thanksgiving! Andree~dharani

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen October 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

dharani! Happy to see you here and delighted you’ll give the chutney a try.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you too – and still wanting to meet for tea. xo

• Reply andree October 10, 2012 at 8:36 am

Lindy,
    How much does the fruit chutney recipe make? Thank you dharani

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen October 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hi dharani – slow reply sorry – was away and on dial-up! I used the tiny mason jars – think they are 125ml and it made about 8 or 9 bottles. I love those little jars because they are so nice for giving away…

• Reply tonettejoyce October 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I had very much of the same experience; first, one apple tree died, then the other.The gooseberries never took off, the black raspberries died, then the red.The birds always take the concord grapes.The peach tree broke several times and I have tried to put it out of its misery by pruning it all the ay down and removing every leaf, but it came back and my husband harvested a bunch of half-bad fruit.(Next year we’ll have to figure something out).The blackberries have gone crazy, and we picked very many…and the birds got twice what we got!
    The chutney is nice use of your harvest.

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen October 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm

It’s not so easy is it – the back yard orchard?! Did you prune your trees in the early spring or in the autumn?

Blackberries – there’s a really really good idea. I’ll try planting them next.

off to read your blog next!

• Reply tonettejoyce October 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm

We tried a lot, but thanks for the advice.I hate to use poisons on the peaches and we haven’t yet , but they are nasty with bugs.The key to blackberries is getting rid of the runners, sucker, whatever you want to call them; they are big, thick plants that shoot up.They are non-productive, they sap the strength of the bushes/brambles and they get in the way.Thanks, please do visit me!

• Reply A Taste of Wintergreen October 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

Oh it was not meant as advice but rather a question – since I am not sure whether fall or spring pruning is healthier. When I started to research – it seems there is no consensus! Going to try early spring pruning though and see how the trees fare next year. The poor apple tree is looking very sad. 🙁

• Reply tonettejoyce October 24, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oh! Well, when I tried to kill the peach tree(!), it was late summer, if that helps! The thing has come baaaaak!

I'd love to hear from you...